State of the Art: Reading - November 1993
These books, several of which appear under References, are particularly valuable sources on reading for teachers and other
Adams, M. J. (1990).
- Beginning to read: Thinking and learning--A summary. (Prepared by S. A. Stahl, J. Osborn, and
F. Lehr). Urbana-Champaign: University of Illinois, Center for
the Study of Reading.
- Allen, J. B., Michalove, B., and Shockley, B. (1993).
- Engaging children: Community and choas in the lives of young literacy learners. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
- Alvermann, D. E., and Guthrie, J. T. (1993).
- Themes and directions of the National Reading Research Center. Perpectives in Reading Research, No. 1. Athens, GA: University of Georgia and University of Maryland at College Park.
- Anderson, R. C., Hiebert, E. H., Scott, J. A., and Wilkinson,
I. A. G. (1985).
- Becoming a nation of readers: The report of the Commission on Reading. Champaign, IL: Center for the Study of Reading.
- Calkins, L. (1991).
- Living between the lines. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
- Cooper, J. D. (1993).
- Literacy: Helping children construct meaning. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin Company.
- Cullinan, B. E. (Ed.) (1992).
- Invitation to read: More children's literature in the reading program. Newark, DE:
International Reading Association.
- Routman, R. (1991).
- Invitations: Changing as teachers and learners K-12. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
- Stein, M., Hadreas, C., Olson, M. R., Parker, G., and Wayne, S.
- The Beginning Reading Instruction Study. GPO Stock No. 065-000-00575-1. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of
- Sweet, A. P., and Anderson, J. I. (Eds.) (1993).
- Reading research into year 2000. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence E. Erlbaum Associates, Inc.
- Templeton, S. (1991).
- Teaching the integrated language arts. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin Company.
- Tierney, R. J., Carter, M. A., and Desai, L. E. (1991).
- Portfolio assesment in the reading-writing classroom. Norwood, MA: Christopher-Gordon Publishers.