A r c h i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
Read With Me - September 1997
Getting Started: Have you?
- Talked informally with friends or contacts in nearby child care centers?
- Taken care not to overwhelm classroom teachers?
- Stressed to child care providers that you don't have all the answers?
- Demonstrated that your interest is sincere?
- Become a recognized student group and taken advantage of faculty advisors?
- Considered resource opportunities outside of your college or university?
- Scheduled volunteer visits at times that are conducive to reading?
Training: Have you?
- Stressed to volunteers that reading strategies apply to all children?
- Designed practices that build on the strengths of children with special needs?
- Asked the centers with whom you work for input regarding reading training?
- Made sure that volunteers have necessary shots and have completed appropriate paperwork?
- Implemented plans for ongoing training and volunteer support?
- Required a consistent commitment from volunteers?
Building Links: Have you?
- Considered what resources your school might offer?
- Connected with other groups and programs in the community?
- Built on the strengths of the community as you work together?
Recruiting volunteers: Have you?
- Considered other options besides posters and fliers?
- Shared your personal experiences with perspective volunteers?
- Required consistency and a genuine commitment from volunteers?
Working with-not simply for-communities: Have you?
- Learned about the life-situations of the children you work with?
- Tried things outside your "role" as reading helper?
- Considered family literacy?
- Celebrated the successes of your program and the children involved?
Focusing efforts: Have you?
- Developed skills in using English as a second language?
- Focused activities based on the needs of the community or classroom?
- Recruited men?
- Included children with special needs?
Keep the dialogue going: Have you?
- Evaluated your progress?
- Been cautious when expanding?
- Built "institutional memory?"
- Nurtured new leaders?