A r c h i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
What to Expect Your First Year of Teaching, September 1998
Final Thoughts and Additional Resources
How to learn more about teaching
For more information about first-year teaching or how to become a teacher, please consult the following resources:
- For general information, Recruiting New Teachers, Inc. (RNT) is a national nonprofit organization that helps people find out what it takes to become a teacher. If you call the RTN 'helpline' at 1-800-45-TEACH, or visit their Website at http://www.rnt.org, you can:
- Acquire a free brochure, What it Takes to Teach, which offers a brief introduction to teaching careers;
- Order the Careers in Teaching Handbook, a comprehensive guide available for those seriously considering the teaching profession, including state-by- state information on education programs and certification requirements; and
- Get answers to questions on financial aid, opportunities for teachers of color, and where to go for more information.
- For information on what your state requires for teacher certification, call your state's education department.
Call colleges and universities in your area to learn more about teacher preparation.
For leads and a list of resources on involving families in education and the schools, visit Website http://pfie.ed.gov/. The brochures, booklets, and publications listed were developed by the U.S. Department of Education and the Partnership for Family Involvement.
[Veteran Teachers Talk]
[A Checklist of Tips]