A r c h i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
Title VI of the reauthorized ESEA replaces Chapter 2 of Title I of the former ESEA (Chapter 2). Congress authorized Title VI to encourage SEAs and LEAs to focus upon the relationship between programs under Title VI and reform efforts under Goals 2000: Educate America Act (Goals 2000) as well as other State and local school reform efforts.
Programs under Title VI have the following purposes:
- assisting local educational reform efforts which are consistent with and support statewide reform efforts under Goals 2000: Educate America Act
- supporting State and local efforts to accomplish the National Education Goals
- providing funding to enable SEAs and LEAs to implement promising educational reform programs
- providing a continuing source of innovation, and educational improvement, including support for library services and instructional and media materials.
- meeting the special educational needs of at-risk and high cost students
These purposes should serve as the starting point for SEAs and LEAs in designing and implementing programs under Title VI.
[State and Local Roles]