Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, as amended, Title 1, Part A; 20 U.S.C. 6301-6339, 6571-6578
TITLE I - IMPROVING THE ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT OF THE DISADVANTAGED
Sec. 101. IMPROVING THE ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT OF THE DISADVANTAGED.
Sec. 1001. STATEMENT OF PURPOSE.
Sec. 1002. AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS.
Sec. 1003. SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT.
Sec. 1004. STATE ADMINISTRATION.
PART A - IMPROVING BASIC PROGRAMS OPERATED BY LOCAL EDUCATIONAL AGENCIES
Subpart 1 - Basic Program Requirements
Sec. 1111. STATE PLANS.
Sec. 1112. LOCAL EDUCATIONAL AGENCY PLANS.
Sec. 1113. ELIGIBLE SCHOOL ATTENDANCE AREAS.
Sec. 1114. SCHOOLWIDE PROGRAMS.
Sec. 1115. TARGETED ASSISTANCE SCHOOLS.
Sec. 1116. ACADEMIC ASSESSMENT AND LOCAL EDUCATIONAL AGENCY AND SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT.
Sec. 1117. SCHOOL SUPPORT AND RECOGNITION.
Sec. 1118. PARENTAL INVOLVEMENT.
Sec. 1119. QUALIFICATIONS FOR TEACHERS AND PARAPROFESSIONALS.
Sec. 1120. PARTICIPATION OF CHILDREN ENROLLED IN PRIVATE SCHOOLS.
Sec. 1120A. FISCAL REQUIREMENTS.
Sec. 1120B. COORDINATION REQUIREMENTS.
Subpart 2 - Allocations
Sec. 1121. GRANTS FOR THE OUTLYING AREAS AND THE SECRETARY OF THE INTERIOR.
Sec. 1122. ALLOCATIONS TO STATES.
Sec. 1124. BASIC GRANTS TO LOCAL EDUCATIONAL AGENCIES.
Sec. 1124A. CONCENTRATION GRANTS TO LOCAL EDUCATIONAL AGENCIES.
Sec. 1125. TARGETED GRANTS TO LOCAL EDUCATIONAL AGENCIES.
Sec. 1125AA. ADEQUACY OF FUNDING OF TARGETED GRANTS TO LOCAL EDUCATIONAL AGENCIES IN FISCAL YEARS AFTER FISCAL YEAR 2001.
Sec. 1125A. EDUCATION FINANCE INCENTIVE GRANT PROGRAM.
Sec. 1126. SPECIAL ALLOCATION PROCEDURES.
Sec. 1127. CARRYOVER AND WAIVER.
- Administrative Cap Regulations: http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2009/pdf/E9-19662.pdf
- August 17, 2009: Notice of proposed adjustments to statutory caps on the State administration. American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA); Title I, Part A of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, as Amended (ESEA); Part B, Section 611 of the Individuals With Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)
- December 23, 2008: Second set of corrections to a final regulation published in the Federal Register
- November 28, 2008: Corrections to a final regulation published in the Federal Register
- October 28, 2008: 34 CFR Part 200 Title I--Improving the Academic Achievement of the Disadvantaged; Final Regulations. The final regulations clarified and strengthened the Title I regulations in the areas of assessment, accountability, public school choice, and supplemental educational services.
- September 13, 2006: Regulations to implement statutory provisions regarding State, local educational agency (LEA), and school accountability for the academic achievement of limited English proficient (LEP) students. See also LEP Fact Sheet.
- July 2, 2004: Notice Authorizing Schoolwide Programs to Consolidate Federal Education Funds and Exempting Them from Complying with Statutory or Regulatory Provisions of Those Programs
- December 9, 2003: Final regulations for the inclusion of students with the most significant cognitive disabilities in Title I assessments.
- December 2, 2002: Title IImproving the Academic Achievement of the Disadvantaged; Final Rule
- Final Regulations on Title I - Improving the Academic Achievement of the Disadvantaged (July 5, 2002)
- Title I Negotiated Rulemaking
|Legislation > Regulation|
- Title I Accountability: Guidance on the $225 Million Fiscal Year 2001 Appropriation For School Improvement" updates the Title I school improvement guidance to reflect changes made in the fiscal year 2001 appropriations statute:
MS WORD (224K)
- January 2000 - Guidance on the 134 Million FY 2000 Appropriation for School Improvement:
MS WORD (181K) | PDF (147K)
- Standards, Assessment and Accountability website
- Flexibility and Accountability in No Child Left Behind
- October 17, 2003 - Title I Services to Eligible Private School Children, Non-Regulatory Guidance
MS WORD (335K)
Family and Community Engagement
- April 23, 2004 - Parental Involvement: Title I, Part A, Non-Regulatory Guidance
MS WORD (388K) | PDF (231K)
- Applying the Title I and School Improvement Hold-Harmless Requirements when Allocating Funds to Newly Opening and Significantly Expanding Charter School LEAs
- November 2010 -- When to Treat Expenditures of Education Jobs Funds as State or Local Funds for Purposes of the Fiscal Requirements under Title I, Part A of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965
- September 3, 2009 - Title I, Part A Recovery Funds for Grants to Local Educational Agencies Uses of Funds Guidance
- March 2010 - Title I, Part A Guidance on Funds Made Available under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA): http://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/leg/recovery/guidance/title-i-rev-201003.doc
- February, 2008 - Fiscal Issues: Title I, Part A, Non-Regulatory Guidance
MS WORD (995K) | PDF (254K)
- September 27, 2007: Guidance for Late Liquidation of Federal Education Funds - http://www.ed.gov/policy/fund/guid/gposbul/lateliquidationmemos.html
- November 2006 - Guidance on Adjusting Local Educational Agency Allocations to Reflect Revised Fiscal Year 2006 (School Year 2006-2007) Title I, Part A Allocations.
MS WORD (226K)
- August 2003 - Non-Regulatory Guidance: Local Educational Agency Identification and Selection of School Attendance Areas and Schools and Allocation of Title I Funds to Those Areas and Schools
MS WORD (741K)
- May 23, 2003 - State Educational Agency Procedures for Adjusting Basic, Concentration, Targeted, and Education Finance Incentive Grant Allocations Determined by the U.S. Department of Education:
MS WORD (1.8M)
- Recipient Reporting Requirements Guidance: http://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/leg/recovery/section-1512.html
- New ESEA Flexibility: http://ed.gov/policy/elsec/guid/esea-flexibility/index.html
- ESEA News: http://www/ed/gov/esea.
- August 2009: Response to Intervention (RTI) Guidance: http://www.ed.gov/programs/titleiparta/rti.html
- January 14, 2009 – Public School Choice Non-Regulatory Guidance: http://www.ed.gov/policy/elsec/guid/schoolchoiceguid.doc
- July 21, 2006 - Revised LEA and School Improvement, Non-Regulatory Guidance MS WORD (879K) | PDF (167K) MS WORD (1M) | PDF (412K)
- Aug 3, 2005 - Title II Highly Qualified Teachers Guidance: http://www.ed.gov/programs/teacherqual/guidance.doc
- March 1, 2001 – Guidance on Paraprofessionals: http://www.ed.gov/policy/elsec/guid/paraguidance.doc
- September 12, 2003 - Report Cards, Title I, Part A, Non-Regulatory Guidance
MS WORD (879K) | PDF (167K)
MS WORD (839K)
- August 22, 2003 - Supplemental Educational Services Non-Regulatory Guidance
MS WORD (879K) | PDF (167K)
- Compliance Supplement: http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/circulars/a133_compliance_supplement_2010
- July 2009 - Title I Waiver Guidance: http://www.ed.gov/programs/titleiparta/title-i-waiver.doc
- July 2004 – The Impact of the Title I Requirements on Charter Schools: http://www.ed.gov/policy/elsec/guid/cspguidance03.doc
- June 8, 2004 – Guidance on Transferability Authority: http://www.ed.gov/programs/transferability/finalsummary04.doc
- February 20, 2003 - Joint Education/Agriculture letter providing guidance on implementation of the new requirements of Title I, of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, as reauthorized by the No Child Left Behind Act, by schools that operate school lunch programs under Provision 2 and Provision 3 of the National School Lunch Program.
- December 17, 2002 - Joint Education/Agriculture letter about the use of student information collected pursuant to the National School Lunch Program in carrying out provisions of Title I
- November 5, 2001 - Part A and Part D, Subpart 1 of Title I of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, as amended, Sections 1124 and 1412:> MS WORD (83K)
- January 2000 - Guidance on the 134 Million FY 2000 Appropriation for School Improvement: MS WORD (181K) |PDF(147K)
- September 1996 - Companion Document: Cross-Cutting Guidance for the Elementary and Secondary Education Act
- October, 2012Serving Preschool Children Through Title I Part A of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, as Amended
State and Local Report Cards
- February 28, 2013 - Webinar State and Local Report Cards Under Title I, Part A, Non-Regulatory Guidance: (PDF) (681K)
- February 9, 2013 - State and Local Report Cards Under Title I, Part A, Non-Regulatory Guidance: WORD (951K) | PDF (807K). Dear Colleague Letter: HTML
This guidance is written to assist State educational agencies (SEAs) and local educational agencies (LEAs) in understanding and implementing the report card requirements under Title I of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, as amended. Guidance in this document replaces previous Title I non-regulatory guidance on SEA and LEA report cards issued on September 12, 2003. It addresses Title I requirements in the ESEA and several changes in reporting requirements related to the Title I regulations issued on October 29, 2008 (73 FR 54436). Where applicable, the guidance also addresses modifications to the reporting requirements for SEAs that have received ESEA flexibility.
Target Assistance Programs
- Guidance on Targeted Assistance Schools: http://www2.ed.gov/legislation/ESEA/Title_I/target.html