Tech-Prep Education

Current Section  Eligibility
 Office of Vocational and Adult Education Home

Who May Apply: (specifically)
Awards are made to eligible state agencies for vocational education, which in turn award funds on the basis of a formula or competition to consortia. To be eligible, consortia must include at least one member in each of the two following categories:

  • A local education agency, an intermediate education agency, an area vocational and technical education school serving secondary school students, or a secondary school funded by the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
  • Either (a) a nonprofit institution of higher education that offers a two-year associate's degree, two-year certificate, or two-year postsecondary apprenticeship program or (b) a proprietary institution of higher education that offers a two-year associate's degree program.

Under the provisions of Sec. 204(a)(1) of the Carl D. Perkins Vocational and Technical Education Act of 1998 (Perkins Act), to be eligible for consortium membership, both nonprofit and proprietary IHEs (including institutions receiving assistance under the Tribally Controlled College or University Assistance Act of 1978 [25 U.S.C. 1801 et seq.] and tribally controlled postsecondary vocational and technical institutions) must be qualified as IHEs pursuant to Sec. 102 of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (HEA). In addition, nonprofit IHEs are eligible only if they are not prohibited from receiving assistance under HEA, Title IV, Part B (20 U.S.C. 1071 et seq.), pursuant to the provisions of HEA Sec. 435(a)(3) (20 U.S.C. 1083 (a)). Proprietary IHEs are eligible only if they are not subject to a default management plan required by the secretary of education.

Print this page Printable view Send this page Share this page
Last Modified: 10/11/2006