Teaching Ambassador Fellowship
Return to the Frequently Asked Questions home page.
- Can I apply for both - the Washington and Classroom?
- How should I submit my application?
- What should I do if I cannot complete the application online?
- What is the deadline for submission of my application?
- What is the word limit and format for the narrative responses on the application?
- I applied last year. Can I get feedback to improve my application this year?
- How do I submit the required letter of recommendation?
- The "Documents" section asks for a "SF-50" and "Sch. A Ltr." What are these and where do I fax them?
- How do I confirm that my application was submitted?
- My status on USA Jobs says that my application has been referred to a specialist for an interview, but why I have not heard anything?
- Will I hear if I am a finalist or not?
- When will the names of selected Teaching Ambassador Fellows be announced?
- I am having technical issues with the completion of my application. What should I do?
- I need to let my school know my status for next year in April. What is the timeline for the application process?
1. Can I apply for both - the Washington and Classroom?
Yes. It our preference that you apply for just one of the positions, but it is possible for you to apply for both. Each of the positions has different strengths and different challenges. Please note that if selected for one type of Fellowship, you will likely not have the opportunity to apply for the other Fellowship type in future competitions.TOP
2. How should I submit my application?
Applicants should submit all of the required application components through USA Jobs. You may go directly to the vacancy announcements, but it also recommended that you review the Applicant Info section of the program web site for more details about the application process.TOP
3. What should I do if I cannot complete the application online?
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact 202-401-1259. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.TOP
4. What is the deadline for submission of my application?
The deadline is 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on January 20, 2013. We highly recommend that you submit your application significantly prior to the deadline to avoid technical difficulties and that you elect to email yourself your final application upon submission to keep for your records.TOP
5. What is the word limit and format for the narrative responses on the application?
We recommend keeping your narratives to 500 words per answer. USAJobs should allow no more than 3500 characters per question. Even if your answer is not automatically cut off, our experience has been that strong applicants provide thorough, but succinct responses.TOP
6. I applied last year. Can I get feedback to improve my application this year?
Unfortunately, given the volume of applications, we are not able to give specific feedback. Overall we were looking for concise and thorough responses to the narrative questions. Strong applicants provided specific examples that demonstrated their ability to affect student outcomes, lead and work with others in education, and successfully communicate their insights on major current education policy and programmatic issues from their school and classroom experience. Successful applicants also provided demonstration of active involvement with professional networks, school community support, and comfort with the kinds of activities in which Fellows engage based on their previous experience.TOP
7. How do I submit the required letter of recommendation?
Once in the application, the third section is called "Documents." The fourth box on the page requests "Letter 1." Because your employer letter must be written on appropriate letterhead and signed by the recommender, you have two options for submitting letters: you may scan the letters and upload them, or the letters may be faxed using a specially-generated fax cover sheet and electronically attached to your application.
To fax the letter, you MUST use the cover sheet generated by the system which has a barcode that will be used to link your fax with your application. In the Letters box, select "Fax," read the Fax instructions, and "Generate" the cover sheet. We recommend that you fax both letters under one cover sheet to avoid confusion.
If the person writing a letter of recommendation would like to submit the letter confidentially, you can generate the fax cover sheet and ask that the person submit the letter via fax with the coded fax cover sheet.TOP
8. The "Documents" section asks for a "SF-50" and "Sch. A Ltr." What are these and where do I fax them?
You will note that the "Documents" section states that there are a few documents required for the vacancy and lists: SF-50 and Sch. A Ltr. These additional documents are not required for responding to the announcement and will not be used in the selection of Teaching Ambassador Fellows. We request that you do not upload or attempt to fax these documents.TOP
9. How do I confirm that my application was submitted?
In the fourth section of the Application Process, "Application Review," you will have the opportunity to review all of your responses and to request that the system email you a copy for your records. You may revisit your application at any time before the deadline to update your responses.TOP
10. My status on USA Jobs says that my application has been referred to a specialist for an interview, but why I have not heard anything?
Due to the unique nature of this application process, all applications are referred to the Teaching Ambassador Fellowship team for review. As a result, every applicant may get this standard response. All applications will be reviewed by the Fellowship team. Individuals selected for follow-up interviews will be contacted directly. The most highly rated applicants will be asked to participate in telephone and potentially in-person interview processes. All applicants will be notified of their status whether or not they are selected for further consideration.TOP
11. Will I hear if I am a finalist or not?
Yes, all applicants will be notified by email of their status in the competition. It is our intention to notify finalists by phone or email to invite them to participate in more in-depth interviews. It is also our intent to notify those who have not made it to the finalist round at the same time by email. Please note that while we hope to notify applicants as early as possible, and understand the scheduling constraints faced by teachers, schools and districts, the time required to conduct a thorough and fair application review is difficult to predict.TOP
12. When will the names of selected Teaching Ambassador Fellows be announced?
Information about each of the selected Fellows will be available on the Fellowship website when the program commences in approximately July.TOP
13. I am having technical issues with the completion of my application. What should I do?
We do not administer the USA jobs website, so we can't directly assist you with technical issues. For all technical support, you should contact usajobs.gov help desk directly.TOP
14. I need to let my school know my status for next year in April. What is the timeline for the application process?
We expect that the semi-final phone interviews will happen in late March through April (with preliminary notification prior to that point), followed by final interviews in late April/early May, and then final decisions should happen by late May. We understand that this may be late and inconvenient for schools, but applicants should have a sense of where they are in this very competitive process by April.TOP