Teaching Ambassador Fellowship
Return to the Frequently Asked Questions home page.
- Can I apply for both types of the Fellowship - the Washington and Classroom?
- How should I submit my application?
- What is the deadline for submission of my application?
- What is the word limit and format for the narrative responses on the application?
- I applied last year. Can I get feedback to improve my application this year?
- How do I submit the required letter of recommendation?
- Will I hear if I am a finalist or not?
- When will the names of selected Teaching Ambassador Fellows be announced?
- I need to let my school know my status for next year in April. What is the timeline for the application process?
1. Can I apply for both types of the Fellowship - the Washington and Classroom?
Yes. It our preference that you apply for just one of the positions, but it is possible for you to apply for both. Each of the positions has different strengths and different challenges. Please note that if selected for one type of Fellowship, you will likely not have the opportunity to apply for the other Fellowship type in future competitions.TOP
2. How should I submit my application?
Applicants must submit all of the required components for a complete application in one email to TeacherFellowship@ed.gov by no later than December 14, 2015 at 11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time. Please read http://www2.ed.gov/programs/teacherfellowship/applicant.html for specific details on the required application components.TOP
3. What is the deadline for submission of my application?
The deadline is 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on December 14, 2015. We highly recommend that you submit your application significantly prior to the deadline to avoid technical difficulties. You should also copy yourself on your email to TeacherFellowship@ed.gov for your records.TOP
4. What is the word limit and format for the narrative responses on the application?
We recommend keeping your narratives to 500 words per answer. While we will not review every essay to ensure it is under this word count, our experience is that strong applicants provide thorough, but succinct responses.TOP
5. I applied last year. Can I get feedback to improve my application this year?
Unfortunately, given the volume of applications, we are not able to give specific feedback. Overall, we are looking for concise and thorough responses that address all of the sub-components of the questions. Strong applicants provide specific examples that demonstrate their ability to affect student outcomes, lead and work with others in education, and successfully communicate their insights on major current education policy and programmatic issues from their school and classroom experience. Successful applicants also provide demonstration of active involvement with professional networks, school community support, and comfort with the kinds of activities in which Fellows engage.TOP
6. How do I submit the required letter of recommendation?
All required materials for a complete application, including the letter of recommendation, should be contained within a single email to TeacherFellowship@ed.gov with the subject heading: 2016 Application – Last Name – Type of Fellowship – for example, “2016 Application – Morelle – Washington Fellowship”. While we appreciate that recommenders may like to submit this information directly, in order to ensure the receipt and review of your complete application, the entire application must be submitted as attachments to a single email.TOP
7. Will I hear if I am a finalist or not?
Yes, all applicants will be notified by email of their status in the competition. It is our intention to notify finalists by phone or email to invite them to participate in more in-depth interviews. It is also our intent to notify those who have not made it to the finalist round at the same time by email. Please note that while we hope to notify applicants as early as possible, and understand the scheduling constraints faced by teachers, schools and districts, the time required to conduct a thorough and fair application review is difficult to predict.TOP
8. When will the names of selected Teaching Ambassador Fellows be announced?
Information about each of the selected Fellows will be available on the Fellowship website when the program commences in approximately July.TOP
9. I need to let my school know my status for next year in April. What is the timeline for the application process?
We expect that the semi-final phone interviews will happen by late February, with final interviews and selections taking place in March. However, this is just an estimate. We understand that this timing can be inconvenient for school decisions, and will strive to ensure all applicants have a sense of where they are in this very competitive process before April.TOP