Number of New Awards Anticipated: 10
The U.S. Education Department has awarded new 5-year contracts to 10 Regional Educational Laboratories charged with carrying out research, development, dissemination, training, and technical assistance activities. Administered by the department's National Center for Education Evaluation and Regional Assistance in the Institute of Education Sciences (IES), the laboratories provide a critical link between research and practice.
Contract amounts reflect the number of local education agencies and school-age children in a region, as well as the cost of providing services.
The 10 new contractors and award amounts by region:
- Appalachia: The CNA Corporation, Alexandria, Va., $26.6 million.
- Central: Mid-Continent Research for Education and Learning,
Denver, Colo., $26 million.
- Mid-Atlantic: Pennsylvania State University, State College,
Pa., $29.5 million.
- Midwest: Learning Point Associates, Naperville, Ill., $39.9
- Northeast: Education Development Center, Newton, Mass., $42.1
- Northwest: Northwest Regional Educational Laboratory, Portland,
Ore., $24.6 million.
- Pacific: Pacific Resources for Education and Learning, Honolulu,
Hawaii, $20.7 million.
- Southeast: University of North Carolina at Greensboro, N.C.,
- Southwest: Edvance Research Inc., Austin, Texas, $37.9 million.
- West: WestEd, San Francisco, Calif., $41 million.