Program Office: Institutional Service
CFDA Number: 84.031M
Program Type: Discretionary/Competitive Grants
Also Known As: PPOHA
The Promoting Postbaccalaureate Opportunities for Hispanic Americans (PPOHA) Program provides grants to: (1) expand postbaccalaureate educational opportunities for, and improve the academic attainment of, Hispanic students; and (2) expand the postbaccalaureate academic offerings as well as enhance the program quality in the institutions of higher education that are educating the majority of Hispanic college students and helping large numbers of Hispanic and low-income students complete postsecondary degrees.
Types of Projects
PPOHA grants shall be used for one or more of the following activities:
(1) Purchase, rental, or lease of scientific or laboratory equipment for educational purposes, including instructional and research purposes.
(2) Construction, maintenance, renovation, and improvement of classrooms, libraries, laboratories, and other instructional facilities, including purchase or rental of telecommunications technology equipment or services.
(3) Purchase of library books, periodicals, technical and other scientific journals, microfilm, microfiche, and other educational materials, including telecommunications program materials.
(4) Support for low-income postbaccalaureate students including outreach, academic support services, mentoring, scholarships, fellowships, and other financial assistance to permit the enrollment of such students in postbaccalaureate certificate and postbaccalaureate degree granting programs.
(5) Support of faculty exchanges, faculty development, faculty research, curriculum development, and academic instruction.
(6) Creating or improving facilities for Internet or other distance education technologies, including purchase or rental of telecommunications technology equipment or services.
(7) Collaboration with other institutions of higher education to expand postbaccalaureate certificate and postbaccalaureate degree offerings.
(8) Other activities that contribute to carrying out the purposes of the program and are approved by the Secretary as part of the review and acceptance of the grant application.