Who May Apply: (by category) Individuals (as described below)
Those eligible to apply to the four- to six-week seminars must fall under the categories listed below, but note that the only Seminar being offered in 2015 is at the K-12 level:
- Elementary school teachers in the fields of social sciences, humanities, including languages;
- Middle or high school educators in the fields of social sciences, humanities, including languages;
- Administrators or curriculum specialists who have responsibility for curriculum in the fields of social sciences, humanities, including languages (at the K-12 level only for FY 2015);
- Librarians, museum educators or media or resource specialists who have responsibility for curriculum in the fields of social sciences, humanities, including languages at the (K-12 level only for FY 2015); and
- Faculty or administrators from public or private, two- or four-year institutions of higher education whose discipline is related to social sciences, humanities, languages, and/or area studies (Not Eligible to Apply in FY 2015).
Basic eligibility requirements for seminar participants:
- Citizenship - must be a citizen of the United States or a permanent resident.
- Academic Preparation - must hold at least a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- Professional Experience - (1) must have at least three years of K-12 education-related full-time experience by the time of departure for the seminar; (2) must be currently employed full-time in a U.S. school system, local education agency, state education agency, library, or museum. (Some examples include curriculum specialists, librarians, museum educators, and media or resource specialists if you have responsibility for curriculum in these fields at the K-12 Level; experience as a student teacher is not applicable toward the three years of required full-time professional experience); and (3) must be currently employed full-time in a teaching position at the level for which the candidate is applying.
- Health - The candidate must be physically and psychologically able to participate in all phases of the seminar. Award recipients must provide a physician's statement to reflect participant's readiness for travel.
- 50 Percent Rule - Applications are accepted from those who work in two half-time permanent positions in two different schools or organizations teaching or working at the same or similar academic levels. Applicants must provide documentation that both positions add up to the equivalent of a full-time position.
- Suitability and Adaptability -- The applicants' professional suitability and cross-cultural adaptability are assessed through the evaluation criteria, essay responses and letters of reference.
Note: We invite applications from K-12 teachers/administrators who work with high-need children and high-need students or in high-poverty schools as defined in the application package.