Authorization of Subgrants for Grantees under the CIBE, LRC, NRC, and UISFL Programs: FY 2014 grantees under these four programs are now permitted to award subgrants to non-Federal entities to support project activities. Read more.
Program Office: International and Foreign Language Education
CFDA Number: 84.229A
Program Type: Discretionary/Competitive Grants
This program provides grants for establishing, strengthening, and operating centers that serve as resources for improving the nation's capacity for teaching and learning foreign languages through teacher training, research, materials development, and dissemination projects.
Types of Projects
Activities include effective dissemination efforts, whenever appropriate, and may include:
- Research and dissemination of new and improved teaching methods, including educational technology;
- Development and dissemination of new teaching materials;
- Development, application, and dissemination of performance testing;
- Training of teachers in the administration and interpretation of performance tests, the use of effective teaching strategies, and the use of new technologies;
- Significant focus on the needs of those who are teaching and learning the less commonly taught languages;
- Development and dissemination of materials designed to serve as a resource for foreign language teachers at the elementary school and secondary school levels; and
- Operation of intensive summer language institutes.
Note: Equipment costs can not exceed fifteen percent of the grant amount.