Program Office: International Education and Graduate Programs
CFDA Number : 84.316 Program Type : Discretionary/Competitive Grants
This program provides direct grants to Native Hawaiian educational organizations or educational entities with experience in developing or operating Native Hawaiian programs or programs of instruction conducted in the Native Hawaiian language, to enable such organizations or entities to provide a program of baccalaureate and postbaccalaureate fellowship assistance to Native Hawaiian students.
The program was designed to support
- graduate and undergraduate scholarships for native Hawaiian students enrolled in institutions of higher education;
- counseling and support services for those students;
- guidance and counseling for native Hawaiian secondary school students who are potential scholarship recipients;
- faculty development programs for the improvement and matriculation of native Hawaiian students;
- research and evaluation activities.
NOTE: This program has been affected by the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001. The Act consolidates six separate Native Hawaiian programs into one comprehensive grant under CFDA 84.362A. The Office of Postsecondary Education, International Education and Graduate Programs Service, will continue to administer two continuation grants in Fiscal Years 2003, 2004, and 2005. However, the Office of Elementary and Secondary Education, Native Hawaiian Education Program will administer all new grant competitions for this program.
This program gives priority to providing fellowship support for professions in which Native Hawaiians are underrepresented. Awards are based on academic potential and financial need. The program provides counseling and support services for students receiving fellowship assistance, college preparation and guidance counseling at the secondary school level, and implements a faculty development program for the improvement and matriculation of Native Hawaiian students.