U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools
Summer: States are encouraged to indicate their intent to nominate schools.
July: ED publishes annual criteria.
September: States launch selection processes.
February 1: States submit nominees.
April 22: ED announces honorees.
July 22: ED hosts national recognition award ceremony.
(all dates tentative)
Only state education agencies can nominate schools.
Schools that wish to be nominated should contact their state education agency for state application deadlines and further information.
For State Education Authorities
- Background and Step-by-Step Guidance for State Implementation [MS Word, 52K]
- Criteria for U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools [MS Word, 70K]
- Instructions for Use of Framework for Evaluation of Schools [MS Word, 43K]
- Framework for Evaluation of Schools [MS Excel, 98K]
- Civil Rights, Health, Environment and Safety Statutory and Regulatory Requirements [MS Word, 62K]
- Sample Application for Schools [MS Word, 114K]
- Sample Application for Districts [MS Word, 88K]
U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools is a federal recognition award and should not be confused with any green schools program conducted by non-governmental entities.