U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools
ED-GRS Annual Timeline:
- ED provides refreshed criteria for subsequent awards cycle
- State education authorities publish their applications for school, district, and postsecondary categories.
- Schools, districts, and postsecondary institutions complete and submit applications to state education authorities.
- State education authorities close competitions and review and select nominees.
- State education authorities submit nominees to ED.
- ED announces national awardees.
- ED hosts national award ceremony.
For School, District, and Postsecondary Applicants
Schools, districts, colleges and universities do not apply for the award to ED, but to their state education authorities.
Candidates must contact their state departments of education (or equivalent DoDEA or BIE jurisdictions) or state higher education authorities for information on selection in each state.
- Green Strides: Resources for All Schools Moving Toward the Pillars
- Green Ribbon Schools Overview [PowerPoint, 2.05M]
- Fact Sheet [PDF, 242K]
For State Education Authorities
- Criteria for U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools [MS Word, 97K]
- Nominee Submission Procedure [MS Word , 51K]
- Background and Step-by-Step Guidance for State Implementation[MS Word, 56K]
- Sample Application for Schools [MS Word, 117K]
- Sample Application for Districts [MS Word, 89K]
- Sample Application for Colleges and Universities [MS Word, 91K]
- Nominee Presentation Form for Schools [MS Word, 79K]
- Nominee Presentation Form for Districts [MS Word, 75K]
- Nominee Presentation Form for Colleges and Universities [MS Word, 77K]
Please note: ED's award is called "U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools" and has "District Sustainability Award” and "Postsecondary Sustainability Award" categories. "Green Ribbon Schools” without the "U.S. Department of Education" is not ED's award, but instead is a separate program overseen by another organization.