First in the World
Next competition: FY 2015
Last competition: FY 2014. Closing date: June 30, 2014
Federal Register Notice
- Notice Inviting Applications for New Awards - FITW Development Grants for FY 2014, dated May 16, 2014 | PDF
All applicants are required to submit an application online through Grants.gov. Grants.gov is a single access point for over 1,000 grant programs offered by federal and other grant-making agencies.
It is strongly recommended that potential applicants familiarize themselves with the Grants.gov Web site and complete the required registration well before the closing date. You can begin the registration process before the application is published on Grants.gov or while you are filling out the application. However, registration must be completed before you can submit your completed package. Please note that the registration process for organizations may take three to five days to complete. The site offers users extensive customer support options and resources for applicants.
Application packages in Grants.gov consist of two downloadable files: application instructions and the application package. To view the package, including required forms, the free Adobe Reader or compatible Acrobat Professional software must be installed on your computer.
Accessing the Application Package
- Start at the Grants.gov home page: http://www.grants.gov/.
- Find the application by Funding Opportunity Number or Agency (Department of Education).
- Click on the Funding Opportunity Number which will direct you to the details, history, announcement, and application package for this grant.
- Click on Application Package. Download the application and its instructions by selecting the corresponding download link.
Applicants who are unable to submit an application through the Grants.gov system may submit a written request for a waiver of the electronic submission requirement. Requests for waivers are due at least two weeks before the application deadline date. See the Notice Inviting Applications for New Awards for additional details on requesting a waiver.
Page limits and acceptable fonts for grant applications. Please refer to the Notice Inviting Applications for New Awards for page limits and font types an applicant may use when submitting grant applications for this competition.
Tips for submitting applications electronically through Grants.gov are available.
Tips and Assistance
FY 2015 FITW Informational Webinar: To help prepare institutions of higher education, non-profit organizations, and others interested in applying for a FITW grant, ED hosted an informational webinar covering the overall goals of the FITW grant competition, and the general application requirements of ED’s evidence-based grant competitions. IMPORTANT: Callers were taken on a first-come/first-serve basis with limited slots available. ED will host additional webinars once the Notice Inviting Applications is posted in the Federal Register.
- Wednesday, April 15, 2015; 4:00 - 5:00 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time
- Transcript of Webinar Question and Answer Session MS Word (48K)
- Registration information
- Slide Presentation (MS PowerPoint, 2.15MB)
- Webinar Script (MS Word, 54K)
Peer Reviewers Needed:
- Invitation to Become a Peer Reviewer MS Word (50K)
- Instructions to Register as a Peer Reviewer MS PowerPoint (3.44MB) | MS Word (41K)
If you have questions concerning this program, please submit them via e-mail to OPEFirstintheWorld@ed.gov.