Name of the Project
Washington State Family Literacy Initiative
Debra Williams Appleton
Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction
P.O. Box 47200
Olympia WA 98504-7200
Even Start Statewide Family Literacy Coordinator
Debra Williams Appleton, Project Manager
Even Start Statewide Family Literacy Initiative Project Goals
- To improve the quality of existing family literacy programs and services through development of outcomes and indicators for adults, children, families, and program quality across all four components, and through a Statewide system development to support a continuous program improvement model.
- To expand family literacy services for highest need children and families by:
- Increasing the number of families served in existing programs
- Building the capacity of communities to implement new family literacy programs
- Increasing awareness within school districts of the family literacy model as an effective strategy in serving children
The Statewide Family Literacy Consortium was formed in __________. To achieve the above stated goals, the consortium's plan includes the following activities:
- Identify and aggregate existing information about outcomes for adult literacy and self-sufficiency, early childhood care and education, parent education, and parent-child activities among its member organizations, from local programs within the State, from other States, and from national sources.
- Expand family literacy services by:
- Building the capacity of existing programs to target highest need populations.
- Assisting new prospective programs to develop and implement family literacy services that target low performing and highest need communities and schools.
- Increasing awareness of family literacy models as effective strategies in serving highest need children and families in the nearly 300 school districts within the State and in local communities.
- Using research on reading and literacy in program planning
- Implementing a professional development plan for staff
- Increasing the intensity of family literacy activities for school-age children (up to 7 years old)
- Improving local evaluation methods and practices
- Absolute Priority: Family Literacy Performance Indicators