Who May Apply: (by category) Institutions of Higher Education (IHEs), Local Education Agencies (LEAs), Nonprofit Organizations, Other Organizations and/or Agencies, State Education Agencies (SEAs)
Who May Apply: (specifically) LEAs eligible for a Reading First subgrant and public or private organizations or agencies located in a community served by an eligible LEA may apply.
In order to be eligible to apply for an Early Reading First Grant, an applicant must be:
- One or more eligible LEAs
- One or more public or private organizations or agencies, including faith based organizations, located in a community served by an eligible LEA. Unless the public or private organization is a preschool program applying on its own behalf, it must apply on behalf of one or more programs that serve preschool-age children.
- One or more of the eligible LEAs applying in collaboration with one or more of the eligible organizations or agencies.
Eligible LEAs by State
Under the FY 2009 ERF discretionary grant competition, eligible applicants are (a) one or more local educational agencies (LEAs), including charter schools that are considered LEAs under State law, that are eligible to receive a subgrant under the Reading First program (Title I, Part B, Subpart 1 of the ESEA; (b) one or more public or private organizations or agencies (including faith-based organizations) located in a community served by an eligible LEA; or (c) one or more eligible LEAs, applying in collaboration with one or more eligible organizations or agencies. To qualify under paragraph (b) of this definition, the organization's or agency's application must be on behalf of one or more programs that serve preschool-aged children (such as a Head Start program, a child care program, a family literacy program such as Even Start, or a lab school at a university), unless the organization or agency itself operates a preschool program.
Lists, by State, of LEAs that qualify for this FY 2009 ERF competition are posted below for the convenience of the applicant. These lists are based on the most recent information provided by each State and the Bureau of Indian Education (BIE) to the Department's Reading First program. However, the Department considers it to be each applicant's responsibility to verify with the Reading First office in its State, or with the BIE, as appropriate, whether a particular LEA is eligible to receive a subgrant under the Reading First program as of the date of publication of the ERF notice inviting applicants in the Federal Register. A list of State and BIE contacts for this purpose is provided for the convenience of the applicant. MS EXCEL (45kB).
Each applicant must complete as follows and submit with its pre-application for this competition Pre-Application Form A, Applicant Eligibility, which is included in the application package and provided below for the convenience of the applicant:
- LEAs included on a posted eligibility list: If the LEA on which the applicant is basing its ERF eligibility is included on the State's Reading First subgrant eligibility list posted on the ERF Web site, Section I of Pre-Application Form A (Applicant Eligibility) MUST be completed and submitted with the pre-application.
- LEAs not included on a posted eligibility list: If the LEA on which the applicant is basing its ERF eligibility is not included on the State's Reading First subgrant eligibility list posted on the ERF Web site, Section I and Section II of Pre-Application Form A (Applicant Eligibility) MUST be completed and submitted that form with your pre-application. Section II requires the applicant to verify with the applicants State's Reading First office, or the BIE, as appropriate, that the LEA is in fact eligible to receive a Reading First subgrant as of the date of publication of the FY 2009 ERF notice inviting applicants.
- In Section II of the Eligibility Form A, the applicant must include the name of, and contact information for, the person with whom you verified eligibility information. If an applicant is invited to submit a full application and the Department is unable to verify the LEA's eligibility from the contact information provided by the applicant, the Department may not consider the LEA as an eligible LEA for the purposes of this competition or the Department may require the applicant to submit additional written information demonstrating eligibility.
Eligibility Form A MS WORD (20K)
These lists (MS Excel format) are current as of March 3, 2009.
District of Columbia (38K)
New Hampshire (41K)
New Jersey (59K)
New Mexico (48K)
New York (48K)
North Carolina (41K)
North Dakota (48K)
Puerto Rico (39K)
Rhode Island (39K)
South Carolina (44K)
South Dakota (40K)
West Virginia (40K)