Charter Schools Program State Educational Agencies (SEA) Grant
An updated version of the CSP nonregulatory guidance handbook is available, which addresses questions the Department has received regarding various provisions of the CSP authorizing statute (Title V, Part B of the ESEA). The new guidelines do not contain all of the information needed to comply with CSP requirements and other requirements of Federal law (including civil rights obligations), but provide guidance on the CSP and examples of ways to implement it.
This updated version addresses additional issues that have arisen since the Department released previous versions of the CSP guidance in 2003, 2004, and 2007. Specifically, this document clarifies or provides guidance on these issues:
- Allowable expenses (Section D);
- Exemptions from lottery requirements (Question E-4);
- The relationship between charter school governing board and for-profit charter management organizations (Question B-13);
- Factors to consider when determining if a school is a new school or an expansion of an existing school (Section C); and
- The relationship between public charter schools and private schools (Questions B-8 through B-11).
To see the entire handbook, visit: MS Word (185KB).
The Department continues reviewing this nonregulatory guidance and may publish clarifications or modifications when appropriate at: http://www2.ed.gov/programs/