Charter Schools Program State Educational Agencies (SEA) Grant
- Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA)
The U.S. Secretary of Education is authorized to award grants for this competition under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA) Section 5201-5211 (20 U.S.C. 7221a).
- Education Department General Administrative Regulations
Grant regulations related to this program can be found in parts 74, 75, 76, 77, 79, 80, 81, 82, 84, 85, 97, 98, and 99.
- Charter Schools Program Non-Regulatory Guidance
MS Word (203 KB)
The non-regulatory guidance addresses questions the Department receives regarding various provisions of the CSP statute and provides examples of ways to implement it.
- Title I Requirements on Charter Schools Non-Regulatory Guidance
MS Word (739KB)
The impact of Title I requirements (under the No Child Left Behind Act) on charter schools addresses issues relating to charter school accountability and charter school lotteries.
- Allocating Funds to Charter Schools
Guidance on how State and Local Education Agencies allocate funds to charter schools that are opening for the first time or significantly expanding their enrollment.
- Diversity Guidance
Guidance on the voluntary use of race to achieve diversity and avoid racial isolation in elementary and secondary school from the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights.
- Lottery Exemptions and Awards to Multiple Charter Schools Operating under a Single Charter
A 2008 Guidance Letter concerning lottery exemptions and awards to multiple charter schools operating under a single charter.
- Charter School Program Assurances for State Educational Agencies
MS Word (42KB)
Pursuant to Section 5203(b)(3) of the ESEA and the Appropriations Acts from 2010, 2011 and 2012, a State Educational Agency (SEA) application for a grant under the CSP must contain the assurances as outlined in this document.
- Frequently Asked Questions on the use of CSP funds to support preschool education
MS Word (45KB)
Frequently Asked Questions regarding the circumstances under which CSP funds may be used for grants that support preschool education in charter schools, under new authority in the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2014.
Last Modified: 11/25/2014