Charter Schools Program State Educational Agencies (SEA) Grant
- Title V, Part B, Subpart 1 of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, as amended (ESEA), Section 5201 - 5211 (20 U.S.C. 7221-7221)
- Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 (Pub. L. No. 113-235)
PDF (1.47 KB)
- Charter School Program Assurances for State Educational Agencies
MS Word (42KB)
Pursuant to Section 5203(b)(3) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, as amended (ESEA); Appropriations Act since 2015; and sections 200.302(a) and 200.331(d) of the Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards, a State educational agency (SEA) application for a grant under the CSP must contain the following assurances..
- Education Department General Administrative Regulations
Grant regulations related to this program can be found in parts 75, 76, 77, 79, 81, 82, 84, 85, 97, 98, and 99.
- 2 CFR Part 200 -- For more information on the transition to 2 CFR Part 200, see the Uniform Guidance Technical Assistance for Grantees.
- Charter Schools Program Nonregulatory Guidance (updated January 2014)
MS Word (203 KB)
The nonregulatory guidance addresses questions the Department receives regarding various provisions of the CSP statute and provides examples of ways to implement it.
- CSP Guidance On the Use of Funds to Support Preschool Education(December, 2014)
MS Word (45KB)
Frequently Asked Questions regarding the circumstances under which CSP funds may be used for grants that support preschool education in charter schools, under new authority in the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2014.
- Guidance on the Voluntary Use of Race to Achieve Diversity and Avoid Racial Isolation in Elementary and Secondary Schools (December 2011)
Guidance on the voluntary use of race to achieve diversity and avoid racial isolation in elementary and secondary school from the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights.
- Guidance Letter on Lottery Exemptions and Awards to Multiple Charter Schools Operating under a Single Charter(1.4 MB) (February 2008)
- Title I Requirements on Charter Schools Non-Regulatory Guidance
MS Word (July 2004) (739KB)
The impact of Title I requirements (under the No Child Left Behind Act) on charter schools addresses issues relating to charter school accountability and charter school lotteries.
- Allocating Funds to Charter Schools (December 2000)
Guidance on how State and Local Education Agencies allocate funds to charter schools that are opening for the first time or significantly expanding their enrollment.
- The Office of Innovation and Improvement’s Oversight and Monitoring of the Charter Schools Program’s Planning and Implementation Grants
Office of the Inspector General: Final Audit Report published September 2012
- Charter Schools: Additional Attention Needed to Help Protect Access for Students with Disabilities
United States Government Accountability Office: Report to Congressional Requesters published June 2012
- Report on Charter Schools on Military Installations
Example Application Guidance
- Example Notice Inviting Application for SEA Charter Schools Program Grant (CFDA 84.282A)
This example notice inviting application provides detailed information about the SEA Charter Schools Program grant (CFDA 84.282A). For up to date information on this grant program and any future or current notices please visit http://www.grants.gov and search under CFDA 84.282 for current opportunities.
- Example FY 2011 SEA Pre-application Technical Assistance and Waiver Requests Webinar
The National Charter School Resource Center sponsored a webinar in February 2011 providing pre-application technical assistance for SEAs that might submit an application in the SEA CSP completion that opened in January 2011. They also briefly covered waiver requests.
Last Modified: 06/05/2015