TITLE VIII--STUDIES, REPORTS, AND RELATED PROGRAMS
PART J--WEB-BASED EDUCATION COMMISSION
SEC. 853. DUTIES OF THE COMMISSION
(1) IN GENERAL- The Commission shall conduct a thorough study to assess the educational software available in retail markets for secondary and postsecondary students who choose to use such software.
(2) PUBLIC HEARINGS- As part of the study conducted under this subsection, the Commission shall hold public hearings in each region of the United States concerning the assessment referred to in paragraph (1).
(3) EXISTING INFORMATION- To the extent practicable, in carrying out the study under this subsection, the Commission shall identify and use existing information related to the assessment referred to in paragraph (1).
(b) REPORT- Not later than 6 months after the first meeting of the Commission, the Commission shall submit a report to the President and Congress that shall contain a detailed statement of the findings and conclusions of the Commission resulting from the study, together with the Commission's recommendations--
(1) for such legislation and administrative actions as the Commission considers to be appropriate; and
(2) regarding the appropriate Federal role in determining quality educational software products.
(c) FACILITATION OF EXCHANGE OF INFORMATION- In carrying out the study under subsection (a), the Commission shall, to the extent practicable, facilitate the exchange of information concerning the issues that are the subject of the study among--
(1) officials of the Federal Government, and State governments and political subdivisions of States; and
(2) educators from Federal, State, and local institutions of higher education and secondary schools.
|Previous||Table of Contents||Next|