TITLE VIII--STUDIES, REPORTS, AND RELATED PROGRAMS
PART A -- STUDIES
SEC. 804. STUDY OF TRANSFER OF CREDITS
(a) STUDY REQUIRED- The Secretary of Education shall conduct a study to evaluate policies or practices instituted by recognized accrediting agencies or associations regarding the treatment of the transfer of credits from one institution of higher education to another, giving particular attention to--
(1) adopted policies regarding the transfer of credits between institutions of higher education which are accredited by different agencies or associations and the reasons for such policies;
(2) adopted policies regarding the transfer of credits between institutions of higher education which are accredited by national agencies or associations and institutions of higher education which are accredited by regional agencies and associations and the reasons for such policies;
(3) the effect of the adoption of such policies on students transferring between such institutions of higher education, including time required to matriculate, increases to the student of tuition and fees paid, and increases to the student with regard to student loan burden;
(4) the extent to which Federal financial aid is awarded to such students for the duplication of coursework already completed at another institution; and
(5) the aggregate cost to the Federal Government of the adoption of such policies.
(b) REPORT- Not later than one year after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary of Education shall submit a report to the Chairman and Ranking Minority Member of the Committee on Education and the Workforce of the House of Representatives and the Committee on Labor and Human Resources of the Senate detailing the Secretary's findings regarding the study conducted under subsection (a). The Secretary's report shall include such recommendation with respect to the recognition of accrediting agencies or associations as the Secretary deems advisable.
|Previous||Table of Contents||Next|