- Uninterrupted Scholar’s Act of 2013
In January 2013, Congress passed the “Uninterrupted Scholars Act (USA)” which amended the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) to permit educational agencies and institutions to disclose education records of students in foster care to State and county social service agencies or child welfare agencies. The statute also amended the requirement that educational agencies and institutions notify parents before complying with judicial orders and subpoenas in certain situations.
- FERPA Webinar for Elementary & Secondary School Officials
Notices to LEAs and SEAs Regarding Responsibilities under FERPA & PPRA
- Letter to Chief State School Officers PDF (61 KB)
- Letter to Superintendents PDF (76 KB)
- FERPA Model Notification of Rights for Elementary & Secondary Schools MS Word (33 KB)
- FERPA Model Directory Information Notice MS Word (30 KB)
- PPRA Model General Notice of Rights MS Word (34 KB)
- PPRA Model Notice & Consent Opt-Out for Specific Activities MS Word (34 KB)
- Intersection of FERPA and IDEA Confidentiality Provisions Webinar
- FERPA for Colleges and Universities Webinar
- Data Sharing Under FERPA Webinar
- FERPA 101 Webinar
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) Final Regulations, 34 CFR Part 99
PDF (500K) | HTML
Guidance for Reasonable Methods and Written Agreements.
This guidance provides schools, LEAs, postsecondary institutions, and State educational authorities with information about requirements and best practices for data disclosures under the exceptions to FERPA's general consent requirement permitting disclosures to organizations conducting studies and disclosures to certain authorities for audits and evaluations of education programs.
- Addressing Emergencies on Campus PDF (156K)
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and Disclosures
Related to Emergencies and Disasters MS Word | PDF
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and H1N1 Guidance
This guidance answers questions that school officials may have concerning the disclosure of personally identifiable information from students' education records to outside entities when addressing an H1N1 flu outbreak. Understanding how, what, and when information can be shared is a critical part of preparedness. MS Word | PDF
December 9, 2008
FERPA-HIPAA Joint Guidance
This guidance addresses the interplay between FERPA and the HIPAA Privacy Rule at elementary and secondary levels, as well as at the postsecondary level and addresses many of the questions raised by school officials, health care professionals, and others regarding the applicability of these two laws to records maintained on students.
September 25, 2003
Dear Colleague Letter re: conditions under which institutions may disclose personally identifiable information from education records to Federal Student Aid (SFA) without consent.
October 09, 2002
Guidance on Access for and Disclosures to Military Recruiters
- Joint Letter from Secretary Paige and Secretary
MS Word | PDF
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) Model Notice for Directory Information
MS Word | PDF
- Policy Guidance - Access to High School Students and Information on Students by Military Recruiters
MS Word | PDF
July 6, 2000
Family Educational Rights and Privacy; Final Rule, 34 CFR Part 99