- (a) CENSUS DETERMINATION- Each local educational agency desiring a grant under section 6212 and each local educational agency or specially qualified agency desiring a grant under subpart 2 shall —
- (1) not later than December 1 of each year, conduct a census to determine the number of students in average daily attendance in kindergarten through grade 12 at the schools served by the agency; and
- (2) not later than March 1 of each year, submit the number described in paragraph (1) to the Secretary (and to the State educational agency, in the case of a local educational agency seeking a grant under subpart (2)).
- (b) PENALTY- If the Secretary determines that a local educational agency or specially qualified agency has knowingly submitted false information under subsection (a) for the purpose of gaining additional funds under section 6212 or subpart 2, then the agency shall be fined an amount equal to twice the difference between the amount the agency received under this section and the correct amount the agency would have received under section 6212 or subpart 2 if the agency had submitted accurate information under subsection (a).
- Funds made available under subpart 1 or subpart 2 shall be used to supplement, and not supplant, any other Federal, State, or local education funds.
- Nothing in this part shall be construed to prohibit a local educational agency that enters into cooperative arrangements with other local educational agencies for the provision of special, compensatory, or other education services, pursuant to State law or a written agreement, from entering into similar arrangements for the use, or the coordination of the use, of the funds made available under this part.
- There are authorized to be appropriated to carry out this part $300,000,000 for fiscal year 2002 and such sums as may be necessary for each of the 5 succeeding fiscal years, to be distributed equally between subparts 1 and 2.
|Previous||Table of Contents||Next|