- Title IV (20 U.S.C. 7101 et seq.) is amended to read as follows:
TITLE IV--21ST CENTURY SCHOOLS
PART A — SAFE AND DRUG-FREE SCHOOLS AND COMMUNITIES
- This part may be cited as the 'Safe and Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act'.
- The purpose of this part is to support programs that prevent violence in and around schools; that prevent the illegal use of alcohol, tobacco, and drugs; that involve parents and communities; and that are coordinated with related Federal, State, school, and community efforts and resources to foster a safe and drug-free learning environment that supports student academic achievement, through the provision of Federal assistance to —
- (1) States for grants to local educational agencies and consortia of such agencies to establish, operate, and improve local programs of school drug and violence prevention and early intervention;
- (2) States for grants to, and contracts with, community-based organizations and public and private entities for programs of drug and violence prevention and early intervention, including community-wide drug and violence prevention planning and organizing activities;
- (3) States for development, training, technical assistance, and coordination activities; and
- (4) public and private entities to provide technical assistance; conduct training, demonstrations, and evaluation; and to provide supplementary services and community-wide drug and violence prevention planning and organizing activities for the prevention of drug use and violence among students and youth.
- There are authorized to be appropriated —
- (1) $650,000,000 for fiscal year 2002, and such sums as may be necessary for each of the 5 succeeding fiscal years, for State grants under subpart 1; and
- (2) such sums for fiscal year 2002, and for each of the 5 succeeding fiscal years, for national programs under subpart 2.
|Previous||Table of Contents||Next|
Last Modified: 09/15/2004