- For the purposes of this part:
- (1) ADULT- The term adult' means an individual who —
- (A) has attained the age of 16 years; or
- (B) has attained an age that is greater than the age of compulsory school attendance under an applicable State law.
- (2) FREE PUBLIC EDUCATION- The term free public education' means education that is —
- (A) provided at public expense, under public supervision and direction, and without tuition charge; and
- (B) provided as elementary or secondary education in the applicable State or to preschool children.
- (3) INDIAN- The term Indian' means an individual who is —
- (A) a member of an Indian tribe or band, as membership is defined by the tribe or band, including —
- (i) any tribe or band terminated since 1940; and
- (ii) any tribe or band recognized by the State in which the tribe or band resides;
- (B) a descendant, in the first or second degree, of an individual described in subparagraph (A);
- (C) considered by the Secretary of the Interior to be an Indian for any purpose;
- (D) an Eskimo, Aleut, or other Alaska Native; or
- (E) a member of an organized Indian group that received a grant under the Indian Education Act of 1988 as in effect the day preceding the date of enactment of the Improving America's Schools Act of 1994.
- (a) SUBPART 1- For the purpose of carrying out subpart 1, there are authorized to be appropriated $96,400,000 for fiscal year 2002 and such sums as may be necessary for each of the 5 succeeding fiscal years.
- (b) SUBPARTS 2 AND 3- For the purpose of carrying out subparts 2 and 3, there are authorized to be appropriated $24,000,000 for fiscal year 2002 and such sums as may be necessary for each of the 5 succeeding fiscal years.
|Previous||Table of Contents||Next|
Last Modified: 09/15/2004