U.S. Department of Education
Office of Vocational and Adult Education (OVAE)
Division of National Programs (DNP)
1. Program Title: Cooperative Demonstration Program
2. Project Title: Operation Outward Reach, Inc.
3. Award Number: Vl99D20078
4. Project Coordinator: Donald Bender
Awardee: Pennsylvania Department of Education
Address: Bureau of Correction Education
333 Market Street
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17126-0333
Telephone: (717) 783-9224
FAX: (717) 783-5420
Project Director: Raymond Thompson
Address: Operation Outward Reach, Inc.
227 South Sixth Street
Youngwood, Pennsylvania 15697
Telephone: (412) 925-2419
FAX: (412) 925-3885
5. Funds By Federal: FY 1992 $ 118,500
Fiscal Year: Other Federal: $
Non-Federal: FY 1992 $ 103,000
Total Funds: $ 221,500
Federal Funds: 53 percent of total funds
6. Award Period: October 1, 1992 - September 30, 1993
7. Federal Project Carolyn Fuqua, Office of Correctional Ed
Officer: (202) 205-562l
8.Objectives: To provide community based vocational training in the use of trade tools, work assembly, and job discipline for inmates in the Pennsylvania State prison system.
9. Procedures: This proposed project centers around a 20 year old established model designed to provide realistic vocational training to prison inmates about to be released by providing low cost construction services in the community for those in need. This project improves an existing model.
10.Outcomes/Results/Products: Provide training to 120 students. To evaluate, document, and disseminate the impact of the program model and its components. Present a session on the project at the International CEA Conference; prepare a Program Development Manual and accompanying video tape; and prepare a final report on the effectiveness of the project to be submitted to the CRIC System, CEA Journal and the ACA Journal.
11.Educational Level: Adult
12. Target Population(s): Incarcerated adults
13. Estimated Number of Trainees: 120
14. Partner(s): Pennsylvania Department of Corrections, Pennsylvania Department of Community Affairs, Pennsylvania Department of Welfare.