U.S. Department of Education
Office of Vocational and Adult Education (OVAE)
Division of National Programs (DNP)
1. Program Title: Cooperative Demonstration Program
2. Project Title: Dade Juvenile Justice Center
3. Award Number: Vl99D20067
4. Project Coordinator: Judge Thomas K. Petersen
Project Director: Jennifer Schuster
Awardee: Dade Juvenile Justice Center
Address: 3300 N.W. 27th Avenue, Room 210
Miami, Florida 33142
Telephone: (305) 638-6873
FAX: (305) 638-6042
5. Funds By Federal: FY 1992 $ 194,750
Fiscal Year: Other Federal: $
Non-Federal: FY 1992 $ 690,000
Total Funds: $ 889,750
Federal Funds: 22 percent of total funds
6. Award Period: October 1, 1992 - September 30, 1993
7. Federal Project Carolyn Fuqua, Office of Correctional Ed
Officer: (202) 205-562l
8.Objectives: To provide 150 inner city delinquent youth in Dade County Florida with a combination of vocational and academic training in food preparation, baking, restaurant management and catering.
9. Procedures: The program's vocational/academic component will prepare youth with the experience necessary to enter the job market. Students run a culinary business and proceeds help offset project cost. Private industry will assist the successful transition of the youth graduating from the culinary arts programs.
10.Outcomes/Results/Products: Program completion will be the result of either a regular high school degree, a GED, or a high school completion coupled with classes at a local community college. Outcome is also to evaluate, document, and disseminate the impact of the program model and its components. Dissemination includes publications, presentations and tours.
11.Educational Level: Youth (K-12)
12. Target Population(s): Youth
13. Estimated Number of Trainees: 150
14. Partner(s): Dade County Public School System, the Florida Department of Health and Rehabilitative Services, local juvenile justice programs and personnel, Miami-Dade Community College, and the Miami business community.