On this site
Direct Loan Servicing
Direct Loan Consolidation
The following Direct Loan publications offer up-to-date information on the program for students and parents. These publications are in Portable Document Format (PDF). To view a PDF file, you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you do not have it, you can download a free copy from Adobe.
- Direct Loan Basics for Students PDF [includes correction to print version]
- Explains subsidized and unsubsidized Direct Stafford loans for students.
- Direct Loan Basics for Parents PDF Spanish version PDF [3MB]
- Explains Direct PLUS loans for parents.
- Direct Loan Basics for Graduate and Professional Students PDF
- Explains subsidized and unsubsidized Direct Stafford loans for graduate/professional students.
- Entrance Counseling Guide for Direct Loan Borrowers PDF [1MB]
- A more detailed description of your borrowing and repayment options, including a sample loan repayment chart. Intended for students who are deciding how much to borrow to go to school (20 pages). This is an updated version that includes the revised repayment plans enacted by legislation.
- Exit Counseling Guide for Direct Loan Borrowers PDF [1MB]
- Reviews your loan repayment options and includes a sample loan repayment chart, a budgeting worksheet, and a borrower's rights & responsibilities checklist. Intended for students who are completing their studies and will soon be entering repayment (24 pages). This is an updated version of the guide that includes the revised repayment plans enacted by legislation.
- Entrance Counseling Guide for Graduate/Professional Student PLUS Loan Borrowers PDF [2.6MB]
- This guide describes PLUS loans for graduate/professional students and discusses repayment options, including loan discharge and consolidation. It also advises students on keeping their account updated and avoiding delinquency and default.
Other Federal Student Aid Publications
- Publications on Student Aid on the Web
- Includes the Student Guide to the FSA Programs.