September 11, 2009
Contact: Jim Bradshaw|
(202) 401-2310 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The U.S. Department of Education today announced the award of more than $12.4 million in Foreign Language Assistance Program grants to local and state school systems in 24 states and the District of Columbia, aimed at promoting the instruction of foreign languages critical to national security.
The funds will be used in elementary and secondary schools to establish or expand programs of study in one or more critical foreign languages, such as Arabic, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Russian and languages in the Indic, Iranian and Turkic language families.
"Communicating with our international neighbors not only promotes peaceful relations but also equips students for employment and to compete in the global marketplace," said U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan. "These grants will help strengthen both our national and economic security."
Of the $12.4 million, more than $3.1 million will be awarded to a dozen local education agencies working in partnership with higher education institutions. This first-year support for these five-year grants is aimed at helping students as they progress through elementary and secondary school and then to college to attain a superior level of proficiency in different languages.
Another $8.7 million will serve as the first year of three-year grants to local education agencies, while the remaining $500,532 will be used for the initial year of three-year grants to state departments of education in Nebraska, Virginia and West Virginia.
In evaluating applications, the U.S. Education Department's Office of English Language Acquisition considered whether the school systems showed the promise of continuing the programs beyond the grant period. Emphasis was also placed on projects that demonstrated approaches that could be duplicated by other local school systems.
For more information on the Foreign Language Assistance Program, see http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/oela/funding.html.
Following is a list of the grant recipients, displayed by state, city, organization, local contact and the first-year funding amount.
Foreign Language Assistance Program Grants
U.S. Department of Education
Office of English Language Acquisition
Local Education Agency-Institutions of Higher Education Partnership Grants (84.293A)
- AKAnchorageAnchorage School District, Janice Gullickson, (907) 742-4848, Gullickson_Janice@ASD12.org, $257,106.
- CAGlendaleGlendale Unified School District, Joanna Junge, (818) 241-3111, Jjunge@GUSD.net, $300,000.
- CAPalos Verdes EstatesPalos Verdes Peninsula Unified School District, Rosemary M. Claire, (310) 378-9966, ClaireR@PVPUSD.k12.ca.us, $297,665.
- CASan FranciscoSan Francisco Unified School District, Margaret Peterson, (415) 355-7628, PetersonM@SFUSD.edu, $300,000.
- COAuroraAurora Public Schools, Paul Coleman, (303) 340-0864, PAColeman@APS.k12.co.us, $294,899.
- ILArlington HeightsTownship High School District #214, Dr. Tina Campbell, (847) 718-4811, Tina.Cantrell@D214.org, $242,763.
- KSGirardSoutheast Kansas Education Service Center, Carol Woolbright, (620) 724-6281, Carol.Woolbright@Greenbush.org, $214,952.
- KYLexingtonFayette County Public Schools, Dr. Kim Hooks, (859) 381-4329, Kim.Hooks@Fayette.Ky.Schools.us, $300,000.
- MNHopkinsHopkins Public Schools, Dr. Molly B. Wieland, (952) 988-4661, Molly_Wieland@Hopkins.k12.MN.us, $257,208.
- MTMissoulaMissoula County Public Schools District #1, Dr. Gail D. Becker, (406) 728-2400, Dbecker@MCPS,k12.MT.us, $162,204.
- NCFayettevilleCumberland County Schools, Paul Shambach, (910) 678-2474, PaulaS@ccs.k12.nc.us, $290,689.
- OKTulsaIndependent School District No. 5 of Tulsa County, Debbie Burchfield, (918) 299-4415, Debbie.Burchfield@JenksPS.org, $251,219.
Local Education Agency Grants (84.293B)
- ALMontgomeryMontgomery County Public School SystemLoveless Academic Magnet Program, Huey-Ling Lin, (334) 202-3287, email@example.com, $212,574.
- AZPhoenixDeer Valley Unified School DistrictGavilan Peak, Mai-Lon Wong, (602) 361-0291, firstname.lastname@example.org, $209,938.
- CAGlendaleGlendale Unified School District, Joanna Junge, (818) 241-3111, email@example.com, $273,192.
- CAHaywardAlameda County Office of Education, Rachelle DiStefano, (510) 670-4147, firstname.lastname@example.org, $300,000.
- CAOak ParkOak Park Unified School District, Clifford Moore, (818) 735-3200, email@example.com, $86,815.
- CAPasadenaPasadena Unified School District, Kathy Onoye, (626) 396-3600, firstname.lastname@example.org, $291,255.
- CAReddingShasta Union High School District, Marylee Boales, (530) 225-8413, email@example.com, $250,000.
- CASan DiegoSan Diego County Superintendent of Schools, Leslie J. Hays, (858) 292-3758, firstname.lastname@example.org, $295,821.
- CAWalnut ValleyWalnut Valley Unified School District, Linda Hansen, (909) 595-1261, email@example.com, $295,826.
- DCWashingtonWashington Yu Ying Public Charter School, Mary K. Shaffner, (202) 635-1918, firstname.lastname@example.org, $290,875.
- FLSanfordSeminole County Public Schools, Minnie Cardona, (407) 320-0200, email@example.com, $102,316.
- ILChicagoChicago Public School District #299, Robert A. Davis, Jr., (773) 553-1930, firstname.lastname@example.org, $298,395.
- ILWoodstockWoodstock Community Unit School District 200, Monique McClurge, (815) 206-3078, email@example.com, $300,000.
- KSClearwaterSouth Central Kansas Education Service Center, Kay Highbarger, (620) 584-3300, firstname.lastname@example.org, $237,999.
- MIDearbornThe Dearborn Academy, Waseem Younis, (313) 624-2000, email@example.com, $97,000.
- MIGrand RapidsForest Hills Public Schools, Linda VanderJagt, (616) 493-8806, firstname.lastname@example.org, $238,261.
- MNSt. PaulYinghua Academy, Betsy Lueth, (651) 379-4112, email@example.com, $274,905.
- NCCharlotteCharlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, Ronald Glenn Byrum, (980) 343-2702, firstname.lastname@example.org, $193,600.
- NCFayettevilleCumberland County Schools, Paula Shambach, (910) 678-2474, email@example.com, $266,367.
- NJEnglewoodEnglewood Public School District, Elizabeth Willaum, (201) 862-6245, firstname.lastname@example.org, $269,870.
- NYBinghamtonBinghamton City School District, Margaret E. McGarry, (607) 762-8230, email@example.com, $202,894.
- NYBlauveltSouth Orangetown Central Schools, Lynn M. Gorey, (845) 680-1017, firstname.lastname@example.org, $261,029.
- NYNew HartfordOneida-Herkimer-Madison BOCES, Kenneth Ford, (315) 793-8502, email@example.com, $284,717.
- NYNew RochelleCity School District of New Rochelle, Diane C. Massimo, (914) 576-4206, firstname.lastname@example.org, $300,000.
- OHCuyahoga FallsSummit County Educational Service Center, David E. Jones, (330) 945-5600, email@example.com, $300,000.
- OHNew PhiladelphiaTuscarawas Carroll Harrison Education Service Center, Michele Carlisle, (330) 308-9939, firstname.lastname@example.org, $291,564.
- OHUniversity HeightsCleveland Heights-University Heights City School DistrictRoxboro Elementary School, Susan Pardee, (216) 397-3869, email@example.com, $177,746.
- OKJenksTulsa County School District, Debbie Burchfield, (918) 299-4415, firstname.lastname@example.org, $299,966.
- ORMedfordSouthern Oregon Education Service DistrictLearning, Jay Matheson, (541) 776-8565, email@example.com, $203,017.
- ORPortlandSchool District 1J Multnomah County, Susan Jordan, (503) 916-3447, firstname.lastname@example.org, $292,005.
- PAArchbaldNortheastern Educational Intermediate Unit, David L. Reese, (570) 876-9240, email@example.com, $200,000.
- PAReadingBerks County Intermediate Unit, Bonnie Troxell, (610) 987-8422, firstname.lastname@example.org, $297,078.
- PAState CollegeYoung Scholars of Central Pennsylvania Charter Schools, Bulent Tarmen, (814) 237-9727, email@example.com, $192,355.
- TXArlingtonArlington Independent School District, Cassandra Perez, (682) 867-7449, firstname.lastname@example.org, $300,000.
- TXHoustonCosmos Foundation Inc., Soner Tarim, (713) 343-3333, email@example.com, $300,000.
- VAHenricoHenrico County Public Schools, Heather I. Snyder, (804) 527-4618, firstname.lastname@example.org, $52,771.
State Grants (84.293C)
- WVCharlestonWest Virginia Department of Education, Robert Crawford, (304) 558-2691, email@example.com, $123,033.
- NELincolnNebraska Department of Education, Vickie L. Scow, (402) 471-4331, firstname.lastname@example.org, $194,898.
- VARichmondVirginia Department of Education, Cathy Cheely, (804) 225-2972, email@example.com, $182,601.
|Back to September 2009|