Thursday Notes contains Web site addresses and publications created and maintained by private organizations. This information is provided for the reader's convenience. The U.S. Department of Education is not responsible for controlling or guaranteeing the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of this outside information. Further, the inclusion of a publication, other commercially available products or a Web site address does not reflect the importance of the organization, nor is it intended to endorse any views expressed, or products or services offered. Thursday Notes is a public document. Feel free to share, clip and use Thursday Notes.
Dann-Messier Meets With NRS Technical Working Group
Assistant Secretary Dann-Messier met Jan. 12 with the National Reporting System Technical Working Group (NRS/TWG) in Washington, D.C. The group is composed of adult education stakeholders, including state directors, a ProLiteracy representative, and a local provider, who advise on the development and implementation of the NRS. Dann-Messier engaged in discussions with the TWG about the challenges and successes the field has experienced in implementing the NRS over the last decade and sought recommendations on how to strengthen it during reauthorization of the Workforce Investment Act (WIA). These discussions will be continued with state directors during OVAE’s national meeting in February.
House Passes New Authorization to Fund Education Jobs
The House passed the Jobs for Main Street Act on Dec. 16 to redirect $75 billion from the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) to create or save jobs in key sectors such as education that drive economic growth. The bill establishes a $23 billion Education Jobs Fund to help states support an estimated 250,000 education jobs over the next two years. The legislation allocates95 percent of this fund to states for school districts and public institutions of higher education to retain or create jobs that provide educational services and to modernize, renovate, and repair public education facilities. The remaining 5 percent of this fund is reserved for state education-related jobs and administration of the Education Jobs Fund. Senate action is pending.
NIFL to Offer Postsecondary Transition Webcast
The National Institute for Literacy (NIFL) will offer a free webcast for adult education administrators on Jan. 20. A panel of experts will explore successful student transitions, current research, state office technical assistance, and real-world perspectives on ensuring that adult education students can transition to postsecondary opportunities. More information is available from Kaye Beall or Tim Ponder.
New York’s Tom Orsini to Retire This Spring
New York State Education Department’s Tom Orsini has announced plans to retire this spring, and his last day in the office is slated for March 31. Orsini served with the state education department for more than 31 years, nine as state director of adult education. He plans to pursue other interests and will remain involved in adult education.
If you have a request for an earlier copy of Thursday Notes that is not available in the archive, please contact Sarah Newcomb.