A r c h i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
SEC. 703. ELIGIBLE APPLICANTS.
- (a) IN GENERAL.--To be eligible to receive a grant under this title, a local educational agency shall demonstrate in the application submitted pursuant to section 704(a) that such agency--
- (1) serves an area in which there is a high rate of--
- (A) homicides committed by persons between the ages 5 to 18, inclusive;
- (B) referrals of youth to juvenile court;
- (C) youth under the supervision of the courts;
- (D) expulsions and suspensions of students from school;
- (E) referrals of youth, for disciplinary reasons, to alternative schools; or
- (F) victimization of youth by violence, crime, or other forms of abuse; and
- (2) has serious school crime, violence, and discipline problems, as indicated by other appropriate data.
- (b) PRIORITY.--In awarding grants under this title, the Secretary shall give priority to a local educational agency that submits an application that assures a strong local commitment to the projects or activities assisted under this title, such as--
- (1) the formation of partnerships among the local educational agency, a community-based organization, a nonprofit organization with a demonstrated commitment to or expertise in developing education programs or providing educational services to students or the public, a local law enforcement agency, or any combination thereof; and
- (2) a high level of youth participation in such projects or activities.
SEC. 702. SAFE SCHOOLS PROGRAM AUTHORIZED.
SEC. 704. APPLICATIONS AND PLANS.