A r c h i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
SEC. 502. PURPOSE.
- It is the purpose of this title to establish a National Skill Standards Board to serve as a catalyst in stimulating the development and adoption of a voluntary national system of skill standards and of assessment and certification of attainment of skill standards--
- (1) that will serve as a cornerstone of the national strategy to enhance workforce skills;
- (2) that will result in increased productivity, economic growth, and American economic competitiveness; and
- (3) that can be used, consistent with civil rights laws--
- (A) by the Nation, to ensure the development of a high skills, high quality, high performance workforce, including the most skilled frontline workforce in the world;
- (B) by industries, as a vehicle for informing training providers and prospective employees of skills necessary for employment;
- (C) by employers, to assist in evaluating the skill levels of prospective employees and to assist in the training of current employees;
- (D) by labor organizations, to enhance the employment security of workers by providing portable credentials and skills;
- (E) by workers, to--
- (i) obtain certifications of their skills to protect against dislocation;
- (ii) pursue career advancement; and
- (iii) enhance their ability to reenter the workforce;
- (F) by students and entry level workers, to determine the skill levels and competencies needed to be obtained in order to compete effectively for high wage jobs;
- (G) by training providers and educators, to determine appropriate training services to offer;
- (H) by government, to evaluate whether publicly funded training assists participants to meet skill standards where such standards exist and thereby protect the integrity of public expenditures;
- (I) to facilitate the transition to high performance work organizations;
- (J) to increase opportunities for minorities and women, including removing barriers to the entry of women into nontraditional employment; and
- (K) to facilitate linkages between other components of the national strategy to enhance workforce skills, including school-to-work transition, secondary and postsecondary vocational-technical education, and job training programs.
TITLE V--NATIONAL SKILL STANDARDS BOARD
SEC. 503. ESTABLISHMENT OF NATIONAL BOARD.