A r c h i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
TITLE IV--PARENTAL ASSISTANCE
SEC. 401. PARENTAL INFORMATION AND RESOURCE CENTERS.
- (a) PURPOSE.--The purpose of this title is--
- (1) to increase parents' knowledge of and confidence in child-rearing activities, such as teaching and nurturing their young children;
- (2) to strengthen partnerships between parents and professionals in meeting the educational needs of children aged birth through 5 and the working relationship between home and school;
- (3) to enhance the developmental progress of children assisted under this title; and
- (4) to fund at least 1 parental information and resource center in each State before September 30, 1998.
- (b) GRANTS AUTHORIZED.--
- (1) IN GENERAL.--The Secretary is authorized to award grants in each fiscal year to nonprofit organizations, and nonprofit organizations in consortia with local educational agencies, to establish parental information and resource centers that provide training, information, and support to--
- (A) parents of children aged birth through 5 years;
- (B) parents of children enrolled in elementary and secondary schools; and
- (C) individuals who work with the parents described in subparagraphs (A) and (B).
- (2) AWARD RULE.--In awarding grants under this title, the Secretary shall ensure that such grants are distributed, to the greatest extent possible, to all geographic regions of the United States.
SEC. 319. STATE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT CONTROL OF EDUCATION.
SEC. 402. APPLICATIONS.