A r c h i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
SEC. 314. NATIONAL LEADERSHIP.
- (a) TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE AND INTEGRATION OF STANDARDS.--From funds reserved in each fiscal year under section 304(a)(2)(A), the Secretary may, directly or through grants or contracts--
- (1) provide technical assistance to States, local educational agencies, and tribal agencies developing or implementing school improvement plans, in a manner that ensures that such assistance is broadly available;
- (2) gather data on, conduct research on, and evaluate systemic education improvement and how such improvement affects student learning, including the programs assisted under this title;
- (3) disseminate research findings and other information on outstanding examples of systemic education improvement in States and local communities through existing dissemination systems within the Department of Education, including through publications, electronic and telecommunications mediums, conferences, and other means;
- (4) provide grants to tribal divisions of education for coordination efforts between school reform plans developed for schools funded by the Bureau and public schools described in section 306(g)(2), including tribal activities in support of such plans;
- (5) support national demonstration projects that unite local and State educational agencies, institutions of higher education, government, business, and labor in collaborative arrangements in order to make educational improvements systemwide; and
- (6) support model projects to integrate multiple content standards, if--
- (A) such standards are certified by the National Education Standards and Improvement Council and approved by the National Goals Panel for different subject areas, in order to provide balanced and coherent instructional programs for all students; and
- (B) such projects are appropriate for a wide range of diverse circumstances, localities (including both urban and rural communities), and populations.
- (b) RESERVATION OF FUNDS.--
- (1) IN GENERAL.--The Secretary shall use at least 50 percent of the funds reserved each year under section 304(a)(2)(A) to make grants, in accordance with the provisions of section 309(a) that the Secretary determines appropriate, and provide technical and other assistance to urban and rural local educational agencies with large numbers or concentrations of students who are economically disadvantaged or who have limited English proficiency, to assist such agencies in developing and implementing local school improvement plans, except that any school that received funds under section 309(a) shall not receive assistance pursuant to this paragraph other than technical assistance.
- (2) SURVEY.--The Secretary shall use not less than $1,000,000 of the funds reserved for fiscal year 1994 under section 304(a)(2)(A) to replicate coordinated services programs that have been found to be successful in helping students and families and improving student outcomes, and shall disseminate information about such programs to schools that plan to develop coordinated(vices programs.
- (c) ADMINISTRATION.--Any activities assisted under this section that involve research shall be administered through the Office of Educational Research and Improvement.
SEC. 313. TECHNICAL AND OTHER ASSISTANCE REGARDING SCHOOL FINANCE EQUITY.
SEC. 315. ASSISTANCE TO THE OUTLYING AREAS AND TO THE SECRETARY OF THE INTERIOR.