A r c h i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
SEC. 233. OFFICE OF EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY.
- (a) AMENDMENT TO THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION ORGANIZATION ACT.--Title II of the Department of Education Organization Act (20 U.S.C. 3411 et seq.) is amended by adding at the end the following new section:
"SEC 216. OFFICE OF EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY"
- "(a) There shall be in the Department of Education an Office of Educational Technology (hereafter in this section referred to as the `Office'), to be administered by the Director of Educational Technology. The Director of Educational Technology shall report directly to the Secretary and shall perform such additional functions as the Secretary may prescribe.
- "(b) The Director of the Office of Educational Technology (hereafter in this section referred to as the `Director'), through the Office, shall--
- "(1) in support of the overall national technology policy and in consultation with other Federal departments or agencies which the Director determines appropriate, provide leadership to the Nation in the use of technology to promote achievement of the National Education Goals and to increase opportunities for all students to achieve State content and challenging State student performance standards;
- "(2) review all programs and training functions administered by the Department and recommend policies in order to promote increased use of technology and technology planning throughout all such programs and functions;
- "(3) review all relevant programs supported by the Department to ensure that such programs are coordinated with and support the national long-range technology plan developed pursuant to section 232(b) of the Goals 2000: Educate America Act; and
- "(4)perform such additional functions as the Secretary may require.
- "(c) The Director is authorized to select, appoint, and employ such officers and employees as may be necessary to carry out the functions of the Office, subject to the provisions of title 5, United States Code (governing appointments in the competitive service), and the provisions of chapter 51 and subchapter III of chapter 53 of such title (relating to classification and General Schedule pay rates).
- "(d) The Secretary may obtain the services of experts and consultants in accordance with section 3109 of title 5, United States Code.".
- (b) COMPENSATION OF THE DIRECTOR.--Section 5315 of title 5, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:
- "Director of the Office of Educational Technology.".
SEC. 232. FEDERAL LEADERSHIP.
SEC. 234. USES OF FUNDS.