A r c h i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
SEC. 207. EARLY CHILDHOOD ASSESSMENT.
- (a) IN GENERAL.--The Goals Panel shall support the work of its Resource and Technical Planning Groups on School Readiness (hereafter in this section referred to as the ``Groups'') to improve the methods of assessing the readiness of children for school that would lead to alternatives to currently used early childhood assessments.
- (b) ACTIVITIES.--The Groups shall--
- (1) develop a model of elements of school readiness that address a broad range of early childhood developmental needs, including the needs of children with disabilities;
- (2) create clear guidelines regarding the nature, functions, and uses of early childhood assessments, including assessment formats that are appropriate for use in culturally and linguistically diverse communities, based on model elements of school readiness;
- (3) monitor and evaluate early childhood assessments, including the ability of existing assessments to provide valid information on the readiness of children for school; and
- (4) monitor and report on the long-term collection of data on the status of young children to improve policy and practice, including the need for new sources of data necessary to assess the broad range of early childhood developmental needs.
- (c) ADVICE.--The Groups shall advise and assist the Congress, the Secretary, the Goals Panel, and others regarding how to improve the assessment of young children and how such assessments can improve services to children.
- (d) REPORT.--The Goals Panel shall provide reports on the work of the Groups to the appropriate committees of the Congress, the Secretary, and the public.
SEC. 206. DIRECTOR AND STAFF; EXPERTS AND CONSULTANTS.
PART B--NATIONAL EDUCATION STANDARDS AND IMPROVEMENT COUNCIL