A r c h i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
SEC. 204. POWERS OF THE GOALS PANEL.
- (a) HEARINGS.--
- (1) IN GENERAL.--The Goals Panel shall, for the purpose of carrying out this part, conduct such hearings, sit and act at such times and places, take such testimony, and receive such evidence, as the Goals Panel considers appropriate.
- (2) REPRESENTATION.--In carrying out this part, the Goals Panel shall conduct hearings to receive reports, views, and analyses of a broad spectrum of experts and the public on the establishment of voluntary national content standards, voluntary national student performance standards, voluntary national opportunity-to-learn standards, and State assessments described in section 213(f).
- (b) INFORMATION.--The Goals Panel may secure directly from any department or agency of the United States information necessary to enable the Goals Panel to carry out this part. Upon request of the Chairperson of the Goals Panel, the head of a department or agency shall furnish such information to the Goals Panel to the extent permitted by law.
- (c) POSTAL SERVICES.--The Goals Panel may use the United States mail in the same manner and under the same conditions as other departments and agencies of the United States.
- (d) USE OF FACILITIES.--The Goals Panel may, with consent of any agency or instrumentality of the United States, or of any State or political subdivision thereof, use the research, equipment, services, and facilities of such agency, instrumentality, State, or subdivision, respectively.
- (e) ADMINISTRATIVE ARRANGEMENTS AND SUPPORT.--
- (1) IN GENERAL.--The Secretary shall provide to the Goals Panel, on a reimbursable basis, such administrative support services as the Goals Panel may request.
- (2) CONTRACTS AND OTHER ARRANGEMENTS.--The Secretary, to the extent appropriate, and on a reimbursable basis, shall make contracts and other arrangements that are requested by the Goals Panel to help the Goals Panel compile and analyze data or carry out other functions necessary to the performance of such responsibilities.
SEC. 203. DUTIES.
SEC. 205. ADMINISTRATIVE PROVISIONS.