A r c h i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
SEC. 1032. GUN-FREE REQUIREMENTS IN ELEMENTARY AND SECONDARY SCHOOLS.
- The Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (20 U.S.C. 2701 et seq.) is amended--
- (1) by redesignating title X as title IX;
- (2) by redesignating sections 8001 through 8005 as sections 9001 through 9005, respectively; and
- (3) by inserting after title VII the following new title:
"TITLE VIII--GUN-FREE SCHOOLS
"SEC. 8001. GUN-FREE REQUIREMENTS.
- "(a) REQUIREMENTS.--
- "(1) IN GENERAL.--No assistance may be provided to any local educational agency under this Act unless such agency has in effect a policy requiring the expulsion from school for a period of not less than one year of any student who is determined to have brought a weapon to a school under the jurisdiction of the agency except such policy may allow the chief administering officer of the agency to modify such expulsion requirement for a student on a case-by-case basis.
- "(2) DEFINITION.--For the purpose of this section, the term "weapon" means a firearm as such term is defined in section 921 of title 18, United States Code.
- "(b) REPORT TO STATE.--Each local educational agency requesting assistance from the State educational agency that is to be provided from funds made available to the State under this Act shall provide to the State, in the application requesting such assistance--
- "(1) an assurance that such local educational agency has in effect the policy required by subsection (a); and
- "(2) a description of the circumstances surrounding any expulsions imposed under the policy required by subsection (a), including--
- "(A) the name of the school concerned;
- "(B) the number of students expelled from such school; and
- "(C) the types of weapons concerned.".
PART B--GUN-FREE SCHOOLS
PART C--ENVIRONMENTAL TOBACCO SMOKE