A r c h i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
SEC. 1021. ASSESSMENT OF EDUCATIONAL PROGRESS ACTIVITIES.
- Section 421(h) of the Carl D. Perkins Vocational and Applied Technology Education Act (20 U.S.C. 2421(h)) is amended--
- (1) by inserting "(1)" after "(h)"; and
- (2) by inserting at the end the following:
- (A) Notwithstanding any provision of section 406 of the General Education Provisions Act, the Commissioner of Education Statistics may authorize a State educational agency or a consortium of such agencies to use items and data from the National Assessment of Educational Progress for the purpose of evaluating a course of study related to vocational education, if the Commissioner has determined, in writing, that such use will not--
- "(i) result in the identification of characteristics or performance of individual students or schools;
- "(ii) result in the ranking or comparing of schools or local educational agencies;
- "(iii) be used to evaluate the performance of teachers, principals, or other local educators for the purpose of dispensing rewards or punishments; or
- "(iv) corrupt or harm the use and value of data collected for the National Assessment of Educational Progress.
- "(B) Not later than 60 days after making an authorization under subsection (a), the Commissioner shall submit to the Committee on Education and Labor of the House of Representatives and to the Committee on Labor and Human Resources of the Senate, a report which contains--
- "(i) a copy of the request for such authorization;
- "(ii) a copy of the written determination under subsection (a); and
- "(iii) a description of the details and duration of such authorization.
- "(C) The Commissioner may not grant more than one such authorization in any fiscal year and shall ensure that the authorized use of items or data from the National Assessment is evaluated for technical merit and for its affect on the National Assessment of Educational Progress. The results of such evaluations shall be promptly reported to the committees specified in subparagraph (B).".
SEC. 1020. PUBLIC SCHOOLS.
SEC. 1022. SENSE OF THE CONGRESS.