A r c h i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
SEC. 1016. AMENDMENTS TO SUMMER YOUTH EMPLOYMENT AND TRAINING PROGRAM.
- (a) PROGRAM DESIGN.--
- (1) ACADEMIC ENRICHMENT AUTHORIZED.--Paragraph (1) of section 253(a) of the Job Training Partnership Act (20 U.S.C. 1632(a)) is amended by inserting "academic enrichment" after "remedial education,".
- (2) REQUIRED SERVICES AND DESIGN.--(A) Subsection (c) of such section 253 of the Job Training Partnership Act (20 U.S.C. 1632(c)) is amended by adding at the end the following new paragraphs: "
- (3) BASIC EDUCATION AND PREEMPLOYMENT TRAINING.--The programs under this part shall provide, either directly or through arrangements with other programs, each of the following services to a participant where the assessment and the service strategy indicate such services are appropriate:
- "(A) Basic and Remedial Education.
- "(B) Preemployment and Work Maturity Skills Training.
- "(4) INTEGRATION OF WORK AND LEARNING.--
- "(A) WORK EXPERIENCE.--Work experience provided under this part, to the extent feasible, shall include contextual learning opportunities which integrate the development of general competencies with the development of academic skills.
- "(B) CLASSROOM TRAINING.--Classroom training provided under this part shall, to the extent feasible, include opportunities to apply knowledge and skills relating to academic subjects to the world of work.".
- (B) Section 253 of the Job Training Partnership Act (20 U.S.C. 1632) is further amended by adding at the end the following new subsection:
- "(e) EDUCATIONAL LINKAGES.--In conducting the program assisted under this part, service delivery areas shall establish linkages with the appropriate educational agencies responsible for service to participants. Such linkages shall include arrangements to ensure that there is a regular exchange of information relating to the progress, problems and needs of participants, including the results of assessments of the skill levels of participants.".
- (C) Section 254 of the Job Training Partnership Act is amended by adding at the end the following new subsection:
- "(c) PROHIBITION ON PRIVATE ACTIONS.--Nothing in this part shall be construed to establish a right for a participant to bring an action to obtain services described in the assessment or service strategy developed under section 253(c).".
- (b) TRANSFER OF FUNDS TO YEAR ROUND PROGRAM.--Section 256 of the Job Training Partnership Act is amended by striking "10 percent" and inserting "20 percent".
SEC. 1015. STUDY OF GOALS 2000 AND STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES.
SEC. 1017. PROTECTION OF PUPILS.