A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 9305. ALASKA NATIVE HOME BASED EDUCATION FOR PRESCHOOL CHILDREN.
- ``(a) General Authority.--The Secretary shall make direct grants to Alaska Native organizations or educational entities with experience in developing or operating Alaska Native programs, or to partnerships involving Alaska Native organizations, to implement home instruction programs for Alaska Native preschool youngsters. The objective of such programs shall be to develop parents as educators for their children and to assure the active involvement of parents in the education of their children from the earliest ages.
- ``(b) Program Elements.--Home based education programs for Alaska Native children shall include--
- ``(1) parent-infant programs for prenatal through three-year olds;
- ``(2) preschool programs for four- and five-year olds;
- ``(3) training, education and support programs to teach parents skills in observation, reading readiness, story telling and critical thinking;
- ``(4) continued research and development; and
- ``(5) a long-term followup and assessment program.
- ``(c) Eligibility of HIPPY Programs.--Programs based on the HIPPY (Home Instruction Program for Preschool Youngsters) model shall be eligible for funding under this section.
- ``(d) Administrative Costs.--Not more than 10 percent of the funds appropriated to carry out the provisions of this section for any fiscal year may be used for administrative purposes.
- ``(e) Authorization of Appropriations.--There is authorized to be appropriated $2,000,000 for fiscal year 1995, and such sums as may be necessary for each of the four succeeding fiscal years, to carry out this section. Funds appropriated under the authority of this subsection shall remain available until expended.
SEC. 9304. ALASKA NATIVE EDUCATIONAL PLANNING, CURRICULUM DEVELOPMENT, TEACHER TRAINING AND RECRUITMENT PROGRAM.
SEC. 9306. ALASKA NATIVE STUDENT ENRICHMENT PROGRAMS.