A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 9304. ALASKA NATIVE EDUCATIONAL PLANNING, CURRICULUM DEVELOPMENT, TEACHER TRAINING AND RECRUITMENT PROGRAM.
- ``(a) General Authority.--The Secretary shall make direct grants to Alaska Native organizations or educational entities with experience in developing or operating Alaska Native programs or programs of instruction conducted in Alaska Native languages, or to partnerships involving Alaska Native organizations, for the following purposes:
- ``(1) Educational planning.--The consolidation of existing educational plans, recommendations and research into implementation methods and strategies to improve schooling for Alaska Natives.
- ``(2) Implementation of educational plans.--The adoption and implementation of specific educational plans developed under subsection (1) above.
- ``(3) Curricula.--The development of curricula to address the needs of Alaska Native students, particularly elementary and secondary school students, which may include innovative programs and pilot and demonstration programs to develop and introduce curriculum materials that reflect cultural diversities or the contributions of Alaska Native people, programs of instruction conducted in Native languages, and the development of networks to introduce successful techniques, programs and curriculum materials to rural and urban schools, including:
- ``(A) multimedia social studies curricula which fully and accurately portray the role of Native Americans historically and contemporarily; and
- ``(B) curricula and teaching materials for instructions in Native languages.
- ``(4) Preteacher training.--The development and implementation of preteacher training programs in order to ensure that student teachers within the State of Alaska, particularly student teachers who are likely to be employed in schools with a high concentration of Alaska Native students, are prepared to better address the cultural diversity and unique needs of Alaska Native students;
- ``(5) Teacher recruitment.--The development and implementation of teacher recruitment programs to meet the objectives of--
- ``(A) increasing the numbers of teachers who are Alaska Natives;
- ``(B) enhancing teacher recruitment within communities with a high concentration of Alaska Native students; and
- ``(C) improving the teacher selection processes in order to recruit teachers who are more positively responsive to rural conditions and who are suited for effective cross-cultural instruction.
- ``(6) Inservice teacher training.--The development and implementation of inservice teacher training programs in order to ensure that teachers are prepared to better address the unique needs of Alaska Native students.
- ``(b) Administrative Costs.--Not more than 10 percent of the funds appropriated to carry out the provisions of this section for any fiscal year may be used for administrative purposes.
- ``(c) Authorization of Appropriations.--There are authorized to be appropriated $5,000,000 for fiscal year 1995, and such sums as may be necessary for each of the four succeeding fiscal years, to carry out this section. Funds appropriated under the authority of this subsection shall remain available until expended.
SEC. 9303. PURPOSE.
SEC. 9305. ALASKA NATIVE HOME BASED EDUCATION FOR PRESCHOOL CHILDREN.