A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 9207. NATIVE HAWAIIAN GIFTED AND TALENTED PROGRAM.
- ``(a) General Authority.--The Secretary is authorized to make a grant, to a Native Hawaiian educational organization or an educational entity with experience in developing or operating Native Hawaiian programs or programs of instruction conducted in the Native Hawaiian language, for a gifted and talented program designed to--
- ``(1) address the special needs of Native Hawaiian elementary and secondary school students who are gifted and talented students; and
- ``(2) provide those support services to the families of such students that are needed to enable such students to benefit from the program.
- ``(b) Uses of Funds.--The program funded under this section may include--
- ``(1) the identification of the special needs of Native Hawaiian gifted and talented students, particularly with respect to--
- ``(A) the emotional and psychosocial needs of such students; and
- ``(B) the provision of those support services to the families of such students that are needed to enable such students to benefit from the program;
- ``(2) the conduct of educational, psychosocial, and developmental activities which hold reasonable promise of resulting in substantial progress toward meeting the educational needs of such students, including demonstrating and exploring the use of the Native Hawaiian language and exposure to Native Hawaiian cultural traditions;
- ``(3) leadership programs designed to--
- ``(A) replicate programs throughout the State of Hawai`i for gifted and talented students who are not served under this section; and
- ``(B) coordinate with other Native American gifted and talented leadership programs, including the dissemination of information derived from the program conducted under this section; and
- ``(4) appropriate research, evaluation, and related activities pertaining to--
- ``(A) the needs of such students; and
- ``(B) the provision of those support services to the families of such students that are needed to enable such students to benefit from the program.
- ``(c) Information Provision.--The Secretary is authorized to facilitate the establishment of a national network of Native Hawaiian and American Indian Gifted and Talented Centers, and ensure that the information developed by these centers shall be readily available to the educational community at large.
- ``(d) Administrative Costs.--Not more than 7 percent of the funds appropriated to carry out the provisions of this section for any fiscal year may be used for administrative purposes.
- ``(e) Authorization of Appropriations.--In addition to any other amount authorized to be appropriated for the program described in this section, there are authorized to be appropriated $1,500,000 for fiscal year 1995, and such sums as may be necessary for each of the 4 succeeding fiscal years, to carry out this section. Funds appropriated under the authority of this subsection shall remain available until expended.
SEC. 9206. NATIVE HAWAIIAN HIGHER EDUCATION PROGRAM.
SEC. 9208. NATIVE HAWAIIAN SPECIAL EDUCATION PROGRAM.