A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 9206. NATIVE HAWAIIAN HIGHER EDUCATION PROGRAM.
- ``(a) General Authority.--
- ``(1) In general.--The Secretary is authorized to make direct grants, to Native Hawaiian educational organizations or educational entities with experience in developing or operating Native Hawaiian programs or programs of instruction conducted in the Native Hawaiian language, to enable such organizations or entities to provide a program of baccalaureate and post-baccalaureate fellowship assistance to Native Hawaiian students.
- ``(2) Activities.--Such program may include--
- ``(A) full or partial fellowship support for Native Hawaiian students enrolled at two- or four-year degree granting institutions of higher education with awards to be based on academic potential and financial need; and
- ``(B) full or partial fellowship support for Native Hawaiian students enrolled at post-baccalaureate degree granting institutions of higher education with priority given to providing fellowship support for professions in which Native Hawaiians are underrepresented and with fellowship awards to be based on academic potential and financial need;
- ``(C) counseling and support services for students receiving fellowship assistance under paragraph (1);
- ``(D) college preparation and guidance counseling at the secondary school level for students who may be eligible for fellowship support pursuant to subsection (a)(2)(A);
- ``(E) appropriate research and evaluation of the activities authorized by this section; and
- ``(F) implementation of faculty development programs for the improvement and matriculation of Native Hawaiian students.
- ``(b) Special Conditions Required.--For the purpose of fellowships awarded under subsection (a), fellowship conditions shall be established whereby fellowship recipients obtain an enforceable contract obligation to provide their professional services, either during the fellowship period or upon completion of a baccalaureate or post-baccalaureate degree program, to the Native Hawaiian community.
- ``(c) Special Rule.--No policy shall be made in implementing this section to prevent a Native Hawaiian student enrolled at an accredited two- or four-year degree granting institution of higher education outside of the State of Hawai`i from receiving a fellowship pursuant to subsections (a) and (b) of this section.
- ``(d) Administrative Costs.--Not more than 7 percent of the funds appropriated to carry out the provisions of this section for any fiscal year may be used for administrative purposes.
- ``(e) Authorization of Appropriations.--There are authorized to be appropriated $2,000,000 for fiscal year 1995, and such sums as may be necessary for each of the four succeeding fiscal years, to carry out this section. Funds appropriated under the authority of this subsection shall remain available until expended.
SEC. 9205. NATIVE HAWAIIAN FAMILY-BASED EDUCATION CENTERS.
SEC. 9207. NATIVE HAWAIIAN GIFTED AND TALENTED PROGRAM.