A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 9205. NATIVE HAWAIIAN FAMILY-BASED EDUCATION CENTERS.
- ``(a) General Authority.--The Secretary is authorized to make direct grants, to Native Hawaiian educational organizations or educational entities with experience in developing or operating Native Hawaiian programs or programs of instruction conducted in the Native Hawaiian language, to expand the operation of Family-Based Education Centers throughout the Hawaiian Islands. The programs of such centers may be conducted in the Hawaiian language, the English language, or a combination thereof, and shall include--
- ``(1) parent-infant programs for prenatal through three-year-olds;
- ``(2) preschool programs for four- and five-year-olds;
- ``(3) continued research and development; and
- ``(4) a long-term followup and assessment program, which may include educational support services for Native Hawaiian language immersion programs or transition to English speaking programs.
- ``(b) Administrative Costs.--Not more than 7 percent of the funds appropriated to carry out the provisions of this section for any fiscal year may be used for administrative purposes.
- ``(c) Authorization of Appropriations.--In addition to any other amount authorized to be appropriated for the centers described in subsection (a), there are authorized to be appropriated $6,000,000 for fiscal year 1995, and such sums as may be necessary for each of the four succeeding fiscal years, to carry out this section. Funds appropriated under the authority of this subsection shall remain available until expended.
SEC. 9204. NATIVE HAWAIIAN EDUCATION COUNCIL AND ISLAND COUNCILS.
SEC. 9206. NATIVE HAWAIIAN HIGHER EDUCATION PROGRAM.