A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``Subpart 6--Definitions; Authorizations of Appropriations
``SEC. 9161. DEFINITIONS.
``As used in this part:
- ``(1) Adult.--The term `adult' means an individual who--
- ``(A) has attained the age of 16 years; or
- ``(B) has attained an age that is greater than the age of compulsory school attendance under an applicable State law.
- ``(2) Adult education.--The term `adult education' has the meaning given such term in section 312(2) of the Adult Education Act.
- ``(3) Free public education.--The term `free public education' means education that is--
- ``(A) provided at public expense, under public supervision and direction, and without tuition charge; and
- ``(B) provided as elementary or secondary education in the applicable State or to preschool children.
- ``(4) Indian.--The term `Indian' means an individual who is--
- ``(A) a member of an Indian tribe or band, as membership is defined by the tribe or band, including--
- ``(i) any tribe or band terminated since 1940; and
- ``(ii) any tribe or band recognized by the State in which the tribe or band resides;
- ``(B) a descendant, in the first or second degree, of an individual described in subparagraph (A);
- ``(C) considered by the Secretary of the Interior to be an Indian for any purpose; d10
- ``(D) an Eskimo, Aleut, or other Alaska Native; or
- ``(E) a member of an organized Indian group that received a grant under the Indian Education Act of 1988 as it was in effect the day preceding the date of enactment of the Act entitled the `Improving America's Schools Act of 1994'.
SEC. 9154. MINIMUM GRANT CRITERIA.
SEC. 9162. AUTHORIZATIONS OF APPROPRIATIONS.