A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``Subpart 5--Federal Administration
``SEC. 9151. NATIONAL ADVISORY COUNCIL ON INDIAN EDUCATION.
- ``(a) Membership.--There is established a National Advisory Council on Indian Education (hereafter in this section referred to as the `Council'), which shall--
- ``(1) consist of 15 Indian members, who shall be appointed by the President from lists of nominees furnished, from time to time, by Indian tribes and organizations; and
- ``(2) represent different geographic areas of the United States.
- ``(b) Duties.--The Council shall--
- ``(1) advise the Secretary concerning the funding and administration (including the development of regulations and administrative policies and practices) of any program, including any program established under this part--
- ``(A) with respect to which the Secretary has jurisdiction; and
- ``(B)(i) that includes Indian children or adults as participants; or
- ``(ii) that may benefit Indian children or adults;
- ``(2) make recommendations to the Secretary for filling the position of Director of Indian Education whenever a vacancy occurs; and
- ``(3) submit to the Congress, not later than June 30 of each year, a report on the activities of the Council, including--
- ``(A) any recommendations that the Council considers appropriate for the improvement of Federal education programs that include Indian children or adults as participants, or that may benefit Indian children or adults; and
- ``(B) recommendations concerning the funding of any program described in subparagraph (A).
Subpart 4--National Research Activities
SEC. 9152. PEER REVIEW.