A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 9114. APPLICATIONS.
- ``(a) Application Required.--Each local educational agency that desires to receive a grant under this subpart shall submit an application to the Secretary at such time, in such manner, and containing such information as the Secretary may reasonably require.
- ``(b) Comprehensive Program Required.--Each application submitted under subsection (a) shall include a comprehensive program for meeting the needs of Indian children served by the local educational agency, including the language and cultural needs of the children, that--
- ``(1) provides programs and activities to meet the culturally related academic needs of American Indian and Alaska Native students;
- ``(2)(A) is consistent with, and promotes the goals in, the State and local improvement plans, either approved or being developed, under title III of the Goals 2000: Educate America Act or, if such plans are not approved or being developed, with the State and local plans under sections 1111 and 1112 of this Act; and
- ``(B) includes academic content and student performance goals for such children, and benchmarks for attaining such goals, that are based on the challenging State standards adopted under title I for all children;
- ``(3) explains how Federal, State, and local programs, especially under title I, will meet the needs of such students;
- ``(4) demonstrates how funds made available under this subpart will be used for activities described in section 9115;
- ``(5) describes the professional development opportunities that will be provided, as needed, to ensure that--
- ``(A) teachers and other school professionals who are new to the Indian community are prepared to work with Indian children; and
- ``(B) all teachers who will be involved in programs assisted under this subpart have been properly trained to carry out such programs; and
- ``(6) describes how the local educational agency--
- ``(A) will periodically assess the progress of all Indian children enrolled in the schools of the local educational agency, including Indian children who do not participate in programs assisted under this subpart, in meeting the goals described in paragraph (2);
- ``(B) will provide the results of each assessment referred to in subparagraph (A) to--
- ``(i) the committee of parents described in subsection (c)(4); and
- ``(ii) the community served by the local educational agency; and
- ``(C) is responding to findings of any previous assessments that are similar to the assessments described in subparagraph (A).
- ``(c) Assurances.--Each application submitted under subsection (a) shall include assurances that--
- ``(1) the local educational agency will use funds received under this subpart only to supplement the level of funds that, in the absence of the Federal funds made available under this subpart, such agency would make available for the education of Indian children, and not to supplant such funds;
- ``(2) the local educational agency will submit such reports to the Secretary, in such form and containing such information, as the Secretary may require to--
- ``(A) carry out the functions of the Secretary under this subpart; and
- ``(B) determine the extent to which funds provided to the local educational agency under this subpart are effective in improving the educational achievement of Indian students served by such agency;
- ``(3) the program for which assistance is sought--
- ``(A) is based on a local assessment and prioritization of the special educational and culturally related academic needs of the American Indian and Alaska Native students for whom the local educational agency is providing an education;
- ``(B) will use the best available talents and resources, including individuals from the Indian community; and
- ``(C) was developed by such agency in open consultation with parents of Indian children and teachers, and, if appropriate, Indian students from secondary schools, including public hearings held by such agency to provide the individuals described in this subparagraph a full opportunity to understand the program and to offer recommendations regarding the program; and
- ``(4) the local educational agency developed the program with the participation and written approval of a committee--
- ``(A) that is composed of, and selected by--
- ``(i) parents of Indian children in the local educational agency's schools and teachers; and
- ``(ii) if appropriate, Indian students attending secondary schools;
- ``(B) the membership of which is at least more than one-half parents of Indian children;
- ``(C) that sets forth such policies and procedures, including policies and procedures relating to the hiring of personnel, as will ensure that the program for which assistance is sought will be operated and evaluated in consultation with, and with the involvement of, parents of the children, and representatives of the area, to be served;
- ``(D) with respect to an application describing a schoolwide program in accordance with section 9115(c), has--
- ``(i) reviewed in a timely fashion the program; and
- ``(ii) determined that the program will not diminish the availability of culturally related activities for American Indians and Alaskan Native students; and
- ``(E) has adopted reasonable bylaws for the conduct of the activities of the committee and abides by such bylaws.
SEC. 9113. AMOUNT OF GRANTS.
SEC. 9115. AUTHORIZED SERVICES AND ACTIVITIES.