A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 9112. GRANTS TO LOCAL EDUCATIONAL AGENCIES.
- ``(a) In General.--
- ``(1) Enrollment requirements.--A local educational agency shall be eligible for a grant under this subpart for any fiscal year if the number of Indian children eligible under section 9116 and who were enrolled in the schools of the agency, and to whom the agency provided free public education, during the preceding fiscal year--
- ``(A) was at least 10; and
- ``(B) constituted not less than 25 percent of the total number of individuals enrolled in the schools of such agency.
- ``(2) Exclusion.--The requirement of paragraph (1) shall not apply in Alaska, California, or Oklahoma, or with respect to any local educational agency located on, or in proximity to, a reservation.
- ``(b) Indian Tribes.--
- ``(1) In general.--If a local educational agency that is eligible for a grant under this subpart does not establish a parent committee under section 9114(c)(4) for such grant, an Indian tribe that represents no less than one-half of the eligible Indian children who are served by such local educational agency may apply for such grant.
- ``(2) Special rule.--The Secretary shall treat each Indian tribe applying for a grant pursuant to paragraph (1) as if such Indian tribe were a local educational agency for purposes of this subpart.
Subpart 1--Formula Grants to Local Educational Agencies
SEC. 9113. AMOUNT OF GRANTS.