A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
`SEC. 9102. PURPOSE.
- ``(a) Purpose.--It is the purpose of this part to support the efforts of local educational agencies, Indian tribes and organizations, postsecondary institutions, and other entities to meet the special educational and culturally related academic needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives, so that such students can achieve to the same challenging State performance standards expected of all students.
- ``(b) Programs.--This part carries out the purpose described in subsection (a) by authorizing programs of direct assistance for--
- ``(1) meeting the special educational and culturally related academic needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives;
- ``(2) the education of Indian children and adults;
- ``(3) the training of Indian persons as educators and counselors, and in other professions serving Indian people; and
- ``(4) research, evaluation, data collection, and technical assistance.
TITLE IX--INDIAN, NATIVE HAWAIIAN, AND ALASKA NATIVE EDUCATION
Subpart 1--Formula Grants to Local Educational Agencies