A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``PART C--EMERGENCY IMMIGRANT EDUCATION PROGRAM
``SEC. 7301. FINDINGS AND PURPOSE.
- ``(a) Findings.--The Congress finds that--
- ``(1) the education of our Nation's children and youth is one of the most sacred government responsibilities;
- ``(2) local educational agencies have struggled to fund adequately education services;
- ``(3) in the case of Plyler v. Doe, the Supreme Court held that States have a responsibility under the Equal Protection Clause of the Constitution to educate all children, regardless of immigration status; and
- ``(4) immigration policy is solely a responsibility of the Federal Government.
- ``(b) Purpose.--The purpose of this part is to assist eligible local educational agencies that experience unexpectedly large increases in their student population due to immigration to--
- ``(1) provide high-quality instruction to immigrant children and youth; and
- ``(2) help such children and youth--
- ``(A) with their transition into American society; and
- ``(B) meet the same challenging State performance standards expected of all children and youth.
SEC. 7206. AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS.
SEC. 7302. STATE ADMINISTRATIVE COSTS.